Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username/Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Latest Threads
Strange Brake Wear?
Forum: Brakes & Levers
Last Post: garrett01
12-10-2017, 06:46 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 1,359
Cleats
Forum: General Questions
Last Post: limey
11-25-2017, 05:40 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 728
Inexpensive bike support
Forum: Tools & Shop
Last Post: audrey27
10-27-2017, 09:57 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 5,056
Gloves?
Forum: Tools & Shop
Last Post: audrey27
10-27-2017, 09:54 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 3,433
Will this bike fit me?
Last Post: amandasmile
10-20-2017, 07:55 AM
» Views: 2,050
Tire help
Forum: Wheels & Hubs
Last Post: RichieSteele
10-19-2017, 01:52 PM
» Views: 1,956
Fork lube (+ others)
Forum: Lubrication
Last Post: ishvii
10-19-2017, 07:11 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 1,924
New 3 speed hub with coas...
Forum: Brakes & Levers
Last Post: Furcursto
10-18-2017, 08:29 AM
» Views: 1,741
Problem with my Front Der...
Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters
Last Post: kazz
10-17-2017, 08:12 PM
» Views: 2,795
Shimano FH-1055 Rear hub ...
Forum: Wheels & Hubs
Last Post: flor1n
10-10-2017, 11:08 AM
» Views: 2,042
Unbend old bike
Forum: Frame & Forks
Last Post: dude
10-09-2017, 06:35 PM
» Views: 2,061
Front Derailleur/Shifter ...
Last Post: kazz
10-06-2017, 02:28 AM
» Views: 2,513
How to store spare tube/p...
Forum: Tires & Tubes
Last Post: josephturner
10-05-2017, 04:00 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 7,263
where to start?
Last Post: debrichard
10-03-2017, 04:30 PM
» Views: 2,675
My derailleur is out of p...
Last Post: sodej
09-29-2017, 07:02 PM
» Views: 2,631
Cleats
Forum: Bikes & Components
Last Post: limey
09-29-2017, 02:07 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 2,695
Rear shock question
Last Post: lupacexi
09-27-2017, 01:07 PM
» Views: 2,666
Locked up Shimano SG-7C18
Last Post: Jakobberry
09-24-2017, 08:06 PM
» Views: 2,798
Crank Rookie
Forum: Cranks & Pedals
Last Post: painkiller
09-18-2017, 11:13 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2,751
Thrift store find - pleas...
Forum: Show off your bike!
Last Post: dalrph94
09-13-2017, 11:35 PM
» Views: 2,768

Cleaning chain
Posted by: larryws - 08-05-2008, 12:53 AM - Forum: Cleaning - Replies (4)

I have been using carb cleaner, yes or no?

New rear derailleur fitted, fixed to one gear now
Posted by: Luke - 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM - Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters - Replies (1)

Recently on a bike ride I made a gear change and my rear derailleur broke and 'exploded' into about 10 pieces. I purchased a new one and my father fitted it on. Now, I'm fixed to one gear (2 i think) and I can't really ride my bike.
How can I fix my gears so I can use them all?

Gear shift/derailleur problems
Posted by: gabrielgarcia - 08-03-2008, 10:06 AM - Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters - Replies (2)

Hi, I recently got a new 24 speed and already I'm having some gear shift problems. When I change gear on the right gear shifter from, say, 5 to 4, or 4 to 3 the chain may shift but then slips back to previous gear all by itself. When this happens I hear a sound from the rear shifter/derailleur of a mechanical 'slipping' type. I had a similar problem, though admittedly worse, with my previous second hand bike which got worse and worse and resulted in the derailleur breaking off finally. Nearly had a nasty accident, I realize now after watching your vid on 'how to shift your gears' that the problem with my new bike only occurred after changing gears with a lot of pressure on the chain when going up hill. Anything I can do to correct the shift problems and how do I know my derailleur isn't damaged etc.?

Rear Derailleur won't use entire range of gears!
Posted by: kmerg - 08-03-2008, 03:16 AM - Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters - Replies (5)

I don't understand what is going wrong. I have an older Trek mountain bike. The shifter is Shimano XT 8 speed, the rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore XT 8 SIS, and the crankset is an 8 speed Suntour Powerflo. It only uses moves along five gears. It ranges between the second to the largest down to the 3rd from the smallest. I have tried to loosen the cable entirely and see if the derailler moves all along the rear crankset. It only moves along those three gears and I also bottom out on my shifter. What do you think could be wrong? It is acting like a 5 speed system but as far as I can see it is an 8 speed system. Very strange.

Pedal/cleat adjustment to reduce knee pain
Posted by: felichan - 08-03-2008, 02:34 AM - Forum: Cranks & Pedals - Replies (1)

Hi Alex, Thanks for your useful website.
I have convinced my roommate to switch from her toe straps to clip style (SPD) pedals. She claims to have knee pains from using the old straps since they confine her to a posture where her toes are pointed straight forward (in the direction of travel) and knee bent inward. Her natural (and more comfortable) stance will point her knees forward but her ankle and toe will point slightly to the outside.
My question is: do you suggest to alter the pedals on the bike or the cleat on the shoe (tilting either as necessary) to correct for this?

Front derailleur - high gear
Posted by: 1800 - 08-02-2008, 03:04 PM - Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters - Replies (7)

On my new bike, my front derailleur doesn't seem to be able to get into high gear. I can go on low and medium but not high gear.
It seems the chain doesn't get pushed far enough to get into high gear, because it looks like it is nearly being able to click into high gear because I keep hearing the gear changing noise.
How can I fix my problem?
Thank you for reading and responding to my problem.
PS. I'm totally new to adjusting stuff on my bike, so can the instructions be very user friendly.

Can I adjust my rear derailleur upside down?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:24 PM - Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters - Replies (2)

I have a question. I don't have a bike stand and I really need to adjust my rear derailleur. Is it possible to "just" flip it over? I don't have any lights permanently mounted on it because people steal the strangest things around here so there's no worry of anything being damaged.

Nothing happens when I pedal
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:22 PM - Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets - Replies (1)

I was riding my bike yesterday, when I heard a like grinding pop from my rear rim and then my wheel would turn but when i went to peddle it was not going anywhere just spinning spinning free... kinda like when you freewheel it back wards... only this was forward... what happened and how do I trouble shoot and repair?
Rodney

Are my hub bearings damaged?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:19 PM - Forum: Wheels & Hubs - Replies (4)

Alex,
I have a question regarding rear bearings, I installed a new Mavic X517 32 spoke LX (parallax110) hubs (built by wheel smith w/wheelsmith spokes), I got them in 2002 but didn't install them till last month (thanks in part to your series). I've put 80 mile on the rim but on my ride today I started getting a bad vibration from the rear. I checked the rim isn't bent and appears true, the hub sounds really loud as described in your "how to check for bearing wear video" just spinning the real wheel I can feel a coarse feeling through the top tube. Does it sound like there is some kind of damage (I know hard to say with out seeing it lol) or could it just be dry from sitting all these years, just looking at the hub there is a lot of grease all over it, like what ever was in it spun out.
Bike:
1993 Trek 830 (Cromo)
Mavic X517 Rims Ft and Rear
Panaracer dart ft, smoke rear 50 PSI
SRAM PC-48 chain
SRAM PG-850 11-30 Cassette
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards,
Dennis

My gears don't shift!
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:17 PM - Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters - Replies (1)

Hi I have a question regarding my bike. I have an old - about 10 - 15 years old - Huffy Blades bike. It's a Mountain bike. I started riding the bike again and I wasn't too familiar with shifting the gears. I recently replaced the tube inside the rear wheel and I've been reading up more on biking. I just realized the importance of the gears and how to shift the gears. However, my gears don't seem to shift. If I try shifting the gears - whether stationary or pedaling - the chain doesn't move. This is the case with both the front and rear gears. I have no idea how to approach fixing this. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the derailleurs or with the shift cables. I was thinking that the shifters aren't working and the cables aren't responding when I shift the gears. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much.
Rakesh

What is the difference between cable types?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:15 PM - Forum: Cables & Housing - Replies (1)

Hey Alex, just wondering if you have a quick answer as to the difference between regular, lined, and SIS housings and what type of cable, regular vs teflon, and if any of these are required on certain derailleurs or shifters.
Thanks a lot, Franklin

Can you recommend good road-style brake pads?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:13 PM - Forum: Brakes & Levers - Replies (13)

I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike the I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it and I'm thinking about replacing them. Alex- I ran into your site trying to figure out how to adjust derailleurs. After finding your excellent site, I think I can do it now. I do have a question on another issue. I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike that I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it (I haven't rode it since my college days back in the mid 80's!) and I'm thinking about replacing them. I was wondering what pad would be the best for a replacement? I'm not a serious bike rider, so it doesn't have to be a top notch pad. I just want a good all around pad for the bike. Could you be very specific on the pad (model #, etc.)?
Thanks, Chris

Can I use Vaseline instead of grease?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:10 PM - Forum: Lubrication - Replies (4)

Hello Alex, I was just cleaning my bearing balls and I realized that I don't have waterproof grease in handy, so can I use Vaseline (pure petroleum jelly) instead for now until I get a waterproof grease?

Thank you, Ghaleb

Looking for Road Tires
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:08 PM - Forum: Tires & Tubes - Replies (10)

Alex, I have a Specialized stump jumper that uses 26 x 2.1" tires. I want to do some riding on the roads, so I am looking for road tires. Can I use 26 x 2.125" tires instead?
Thanks,
Mark

How do I crack open a ROLF Satellite hub?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:05 PM - Forum: Wheels & Hubs - Replies (4)

Alex,
This is a ROLF Satellite hub. Not sure how to crack it open? Two cone wrenches I guess?
Chuck

Chain popping on hills
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:03 PM - Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets - Replies (2)

My chain never came off my current bike before, but recently it did and now when ever I go uphill or pedal from a cold start my chain pops and my pedals kick forward like there's no tension and then my chain catches and I go on my way. It's been doing it more and more frequently. What's going on?
Thanks for your help, Robby

Sloppy rear wheel question
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 11:00 PM - Forum: Wheels & Hubs - Replies (1)

Hi. Have a 5 speed Scwinn Cruiser. Rear wheel has a lot of "slop" in the movement. It turns freely, but if you grab it it has a lot of free play from side to side. It is attached securely to the frame. What would you recommend I check next?

How do I tighten my spring-loaded seatpost?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 10:58 PM - Forum: Saddles & Seatposts - Replies (2)

I have a bike seat post that is spring loaded. It's come loose the last week and I'm having a hell of time tightening back into place. Is there a trick to this?
Thanks, Chris

Derailleur not shifting
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM - Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters - Replies (1)

My rear derailler doesn't shift with the lever. I can get too move with the derailler itself, but I cant get it out of 7 gear. There is no tension on the thumb levers at all. How can I fix this problem?
Tim

How to raise handlebars on a threadless stem
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 10:52 PM - Forum: Stem & Handlebars - Replies (6)

Hey Alex,

I have a question for you that may or may not be good for an entry on your site. We bought my wife a bike last year and she loves riding it, but her hands get sore. I have tried simple adjustments to the angle of her handlebars, but I think I would like to increase the height of them. I am not sure with her stem if this is simple a matter of loosening it or if I have to buy spacers or what not. I have old school bikes with old school headsets and I have never worked with one like this before. Can you give me some advice? And maybe this would be a good entry for you. Check out the pics.

Matt

ISSN 1918-3445 © Copyright 2007-2010 Bicycle Tutor / Privacy Policy / Created by Alex Ramon

feed