Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username/Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Latest Threads
Crank Rookie
Forum: Cranks & Pedals
Last Post: painkiller
09-18-2017, 11:13 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 228
Thrift store find - pleas...
Forum: Show off your bike!
Last Post: dalrph94
09-13-2017, 11:35 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 305
What's causing this noise...
Forum: General Questions
Last Post: Nozza123
09-13-2017, 09:42 AM
» Views: 318
Finding the manufacturer ...
Forum: Bikes & Components
Last Post: stevehoster@att.net
09-11-2017, 07:29 PM
» Views: 355
How would I know if my sh...
Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters
Last Post: chiproth22
09-09-2017, 03:57 PM
» Views: 475
Mavic hub service
Forum: Wheels & Hubs
Last Post: pygmytwylyte
09-07-2017, 05:41 PM
» Views: 492
Matching New Chainring to...
Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets
Last Post: Eugbug
09-04-2017, 05:54 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 543
front suspension fork
Forum: Frame & Forks
Last Post: WesleyNL
09-02-2017, 12:38 PM
» Views: 621
Replacement for BB-CT92E ...
Forum: Bottom Brackets
Last Post: relative4
08-29-2017, 03:07 PM
» Views: 752
MTB Ghost Shifting fix
Forum: Derailleurs & Shifters
Last Post: Javax1
08-26-2017, 08:02 PM
» Views: 855
Pedal Washers ?
Forum: Cranks & Pedals
Last Post: kotrebs
08-25-2017, 11:16 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 2,830
26" Mongoose Excursion
Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets
Last Post: ntomita
08-23-2017, 08:46 PM
» Views: 848
Rear Derailer/ Aluminum f...
Forum: Frame & Forks
Last Post: Hikel67
08-20-2017, 03:15 PM
» Views: 855
What is this part?
Last Post: idrivebig
08-15-2017, 12:55 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 1,118
Bike part identification ...
Forum: Brakes & Levers
Last Post: Squarewheel
08-15-2017, 08:24 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2,116
Upgrading old SIS drivech...
Last Post: painkiller
08-10-2017, 11:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 1,290
Chain link removal and re...
Last Post: Desmond
08-09-2017, 06:19 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 1,428
Bike repair manual
Forum: Tools & Shop
Last Post: condor
08-06-2017, 08:48 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 5,048
30 Bikes Per Day?
Forum: Tools & Shop
08-06-2017, 08:07 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 12,213
Bottom bracket... Strange...
Forum: Bottom Brackets
08-06-2017, 01:37 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 2,538

Chain loosing grip with the chainrings
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 08:51 AM - Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets - Replies (5)

When I ride in a gear past 4 my chain starts to make a popping noise. It does it more and more the faster I go. It's like when you shift to 1st gear then stop on a hill then try to go again in first gear it loose grips with the chainrings. It looses grip with the rear chain rings for about a second then regains grip. This only happens when I go to any gear past 4. Also when I stand up to pedal faster the chain just makes this weird pop sound and I loose all my speed because it looses grip with the rear chain rings. So do you know what is wrong?
David

Shimano XT hub skipping
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM - Forum: Wheels & Hubs - Replies (1)

Why does my Shimano XT hub skip one time (or click) when pedaling either hard or easy without the slipping of the chain to the cog? Could it be that I need a new freehub body or new rear hub?
Thank you,
Dan

Loose Pedal Arm
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 08:39 AM - Forum: Cranks & Pedals - Replies (1)

Moutainbike Magna, Right pedal arm hits bike frame as you pedal, crank appears to be a little loose. How do I adjust the crank or pedal arm? Any advice appreciated or if you know of anything else it could be.
Thanks, John

Gear changing manual?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 08:04 AM - Forum: Riding Techniques - Replies (2)

Is there a manual that shows the correct way to change gears on my sc1800 mtb? Bike manufactures assume that everybody who rides knows how to change gears-which is bull-and don't include instructions when a person buys a bike.

How much for a decent road bike?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 08:00 AM - Forum: Bikes & Components - Replies (1)

Alex,

Your site has been very useful in helping me tune up an old junker bike a friend gave me. I've been using it to commute to my college campus (only 4 miles each way), but the bike won't last much longer and I need to replace it.

What should I expect to pay for a quality road bike that I will be using to commute to class and work, at least ten miles (total) per day?

Thanks!
-Davis

JIS Headset Info Needed
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 07:25 AM - Forum: Headsets - Replies (1)

I've been looking high and low for the proper installation/maint. of an old style JIS threaded headset and haven't been able to find anything on the net. If you happen to have some resources or information you could pass along to me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Andrew

How do I find frame specifications?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 07:18 AM - Forum: Frame & Forks - Replies (4)

I'd like to know how to measure the maximum tire thickness clearance on a particular bike frame. I can't find the specifications on the frame website, that's why I need some help here.
Benjamin

What kind of suspension post do you have?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 07:09 AM - Forum: Saddles & Seatposts - Replies (1)

I have noticed on one of your bikes what looks like a frame / casting / or moulding.
The item I refer to is the section between the seat post and the seat. I presume this is so that the seat can be moved further forward, or rearward, than is normally possible.
One of the family needs to have the seat further back than can be adjusted and something like this would be a boon. Do you know of a supplier that would supply this item and ship to the UK?
Thanks for any help
Roger

My new cassette cluster is noisy
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 07:02 AM - Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets - Replies (4)

I replaced my cassette cluster with an exact replica per your demonstration, all went well. However, I took if for a ride and it didn't sound as smooth as my old broke in cassette cluster, do I need to give it some more break in time? My chain length seemed okay last time checked about 500 miles ago, but do I need to replace it, it looks fine, derailleur looks fine. Your take?
Thanks,
Greg

Removing a stripped screw
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:57 AM - Forum: Tools & Shop - Replies (1)

How would you extract a small stripped allen head screw?

Rider

Should I replace my wheel?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:51 AM - Forum: Wheels & Hubs - Replies (5)

Hey I have a mountain bike, whose bearings seem to be damaged because the back wheels moves left to the right, what I don't know what to do is whether to get a replacement wheel with the bearings already installed, or buy new bearings to install on the wheel. What actually makes the wheel move, is it the bearing balls are out of placed. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Your suggestion would be truly appreciated.
Asad

Request for a general tune-up tutorial
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:46 AM - Forum: General Questions - Replies (1)

I find your site and tutorials quite informative and appreciate you taking the time and effort to create them. However, I was wondering if you were ever thinking about doing a video on how a common cyclist would do a monthly/seasonal tuneup?

For instance, what things should be checked, cleaned, replaced, adjusted etc.?

Flat tire tutorial?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:43 AM - Forum: Tires & Tubes - Replies (1)

Can you include more info on how to repair a flat tire. I still see quite a few people not working the bead of the tire to the bottom of the rim. Not doing this causes many of them to start using other tools than there hands.

How do I tension and true my wheel?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:39 AM - Forum: Wheels & Hubs - Replies (1)

Hi Alex, thank you for putting together this great website. I bent my rear rim on a pot hole. I bought a new rim and taped it to the old one and moved all the spokes over. I tightened all the spokes but too tight because it looked like a potato chip. I loosened them and got it fairly true but am have a hard time getting it radially true. I think I'm going to start over but how tight should all the spokes be before you start tightening and loosening to make the wheel laterally true? And, how should I true the wheel radially?
Bruce

Wheel Centering Question
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:35 AM - Forum: Wheels & Hubs - Replies (1)

I pulled a rear wheel from a specialized p2 and placed on specialized stumpjumper M4. This wheel has 9 cog cassette. The wheel was not centered -- it sits closer to non drive side. So to better center the wheel I swapped the nuts that secure position of inner nuts (those which hold bearings in place). The ones I swapped are the nuts that rest against inside of dropout (they have the etched lines in them). I did this because one was clearly larger than the other.
This improves the center of the wheel but it is still not centered. I guess I could shop for an even thinner nut (to go on drive side) but it can't be too thin as the cassette can't come into contact with the frame.
Is this a common problem? Anything else I should try to better center this wheel?
Thanks -joel

Can I mount old brakes on a newer bike?
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:31 AM - Forum: Brakes & Levers - Replies (1)

The part on my frame where the V-brakes fit on to has broken off. Can I fit another type of brake? The frame has a bar above the brake with a hole in it like the old type of brakes.
Many thanks, Phil

Gearing Question
Posted by: Guest - 07-19-2008, 06:26 AM - Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets - Replies (3)

Hi Alex, cool stuff. quick question:
I have a road bike with Shimano 105 double chainring cranks 53/39 and Sram 9speed 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26. I'm thinking of doing a hilly century and some suggested I change the small chainring 39 to a smaller 30t (available for triple cranks) and then replace the 12t, 14t & 26t cogs of the rear cassette with 25t, 27t & 30t... is that really practical? or do-able at all?
Thanks!
Jason

Chain slips a tooth
Posted by: Guest - 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM - Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets - Replies (1)

Hi Alex,
After a year of not using my ATB, I decided to clean the dust off it and go for a ride. After an afternoon of cleaning, adjusting the shifters & breaks I took it out for a spin, but every time I wanted to put some extra pressure on the pedals, the chain slipped a tooth or two on my back sprocket, no matter what gear. What can I do to fix it? (it has a Shimano Deore derailer from 2005).
Jelmer

Cleaning after a ride
Posted by: Guest - 07-18-2008, 10:49 AM - Forum: Cleaning - Replies (1)

What is the best way to remove dirt from your chain and derailleurs after a ride?

Chain slipping every second rotation
Posted by: Guest - 07-18-2008, 10:44 AM - Forum: Chain, Chainrings & Sprockets - Replies (1)

Every second turn of the crank chain tension slackens and crank jumps, like chain is trying to catch up on the stroke.

ISSN 1918-3445 © Copyright 2007-2010 Bicycle Tutor / Privacy Policy / Created by Alex Ramon

feed