Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

$10 Craigslist Special
Snatched this up off craigslist the other day. The lady threw in the rack and an extra tube.

I've got it in pieces and will post pics when I make some upgrades with the spare parts i have laying around. Some girls from my work have been wanting to ride with us, this may be the designated chick bike.
Nice score! I've noticed prices falling recently. Probably because winter coming soon. So I am holding off putting any bikes for sale on CL until spring to get full price. Ten bucks is still a good deal for you. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Nice find, it's got to worth that for the tyres alone. Smile
Yes a very nice find! I noticed the seat is pretty nice. Not sure if that is what came with it or after market. As said above tires definitely worth the purchase!
EDIT: did you get the rack with it too?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ye 10-4 to NICE!!!! I got 5 bikes and am thinking of selling one City Bike with a nice 4130 cro mo frame and shimano parts. But its worth more to me for spare parts or a loaner. Still, could use the room.

I got a nice deal on a 1985 Fuji del Rey, love it may never ride my Aluminum Schwinn MB on pavement again. Feels unresponsive next to the Fuji. In dirt thats the ticket for it.
The set up on the Fuji cost more than the bike.:-))
Never Give Up!!!
i would like your opinion on the suspension seatpost if you ride it enough to do so. that might be just the ticket for my wifes ride.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
The suspension seat post is the way to go if you're just riding the bike path. They usually have a little movement back and forth, so it's not ideal for serious riding. But on a bike path for someone who rides occasionally it's tops.

@Bill. Yeah she threw the rack in as well. all for $10
(09-20-2010, 01:06 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  I got a nice deal on a 1985 Fuji del Rey, love it may never ride my Aluminum Schwinn MB on pavement again. Feels unresponsive next to the Fuji. In dirt thats the ticket for it.
The set up on the Fuji cost more than the bike.:-))

I like the look of that bike.

I am with you on riding a road bike and response. I love to cruise it in higher gears on long stretches and working those long hill climbs as well.
Thanks, I reversed the racing bar found my spot and cut them. Works great and the original levers work too. I added rack, seat, pedals, tool pouch and tools, water bottle , pump, yellow gel tape and Cat Eye Strada cycleputer. All that cost 2X more than the bike. But now I have it my way. :-)))

Ye definitely the geometry, narrow tires and especially the quad butted Valite frame make the bike very lively. Its like driving a sports car vs a truck.
Never Give Up!!!
thanx for the reply. one more question, how do they work on a dual suspender bike? do they fight each other or require lots of adjusting to get it right?
i'm not sure how it would work on full suspension. I guess it'd work secondary depending on the rebound of the actual rear shock.
Yeah I'm kinda wandering too as they have been calling me to buy one lol
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
most big trucks have air bag suspension between the cab and frame. i have seen some so far out of whack that they work against the rear suspension, actually making the ride worse. this is what made me ask about the seatpost/ dual suspension combo.
Yea gotta point their! Not sure but if your correct then those seats and the shock headset is only for hard tails.
Yeah, they are a solution for someone who wants the comfort of the suspension, but not the commitment of going all the way in on a full suspension bike.
My first bike as an adult was a mongoose, called a rockadile. It was an excellent bike for the money. It took a fair bit of abuse and neglect without putting me off cycling. I finally traded it in and got a bit of money off a Specialized.

The one you've bagged looks in pretty good condition. I think I see some rust on the chain, but I really think you did well to get it for $10. I hope it gets lots of use.
I took this bike and added a front shock to it, removed the racks, new handle bars, and a new seat. I keep it now for whenever chicks want to ride with my group, it gets used by who ever wants to tag along.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post