Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Best Trail Rash Remedy?
Ok, it happened. I fell today while riding. I skinned up a knee, scraped an arm a little, and got the backside of the ankle of the opposite foot dinged from the pedal I guess. Worst part is my upper thigh where I guess I landed square on my cell phone. Scrapes are covered in neosporin and gauze pads w/tape. Bruise has not appeared on leg as of yet, but I'm sure it will. Ice and rest probably best for that.

What do you do when the trail bites back? How long is long enough for recovery?
Normally I'll take some pain killers when it happens and then when I get back fall asleep. Next day I'm normally back on my bike riding. I am pretty young though, so it might not apply to everyone.
Clean wounds. Thoroughly flush. Antibiotic. Ice an elevate. plenty of vitamin I (ibuprofen). Gauze, wrap and ride...
GO RIDE...
Liberally apply beer to the mouth area. It makes you feel better in no time.
thats just great, now they'll pass a law that makes cell phones illegal on bikes!Smile while i cant help you with the pain(id try daves idea), the dollar stores have lots of cheap cell cases that can be modified to be attached to the bars or headset. that may help protect it from you and you from it if you crash again, but i dont recommend riding without the phone. probably not the answer you wanted now, but ya gotta look ahead.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
The wonders of modern medicine....Vitamin I in large dose as well as a semi-good night's sleep seems to have done wonders. Funny thing bout this phone- has been thru hell and back and keeps on ticking. I left it on the hood of my work truck once and someone found it on side of road and called to arrange giving it back. I upgraded to new phone recently and retired it- only to have to bring it back to duty after new phone broke in pocket at a baseball game.

This particular accident I had it in my right front pocket of my shorts. I went down on the right side- so right elbow and knee scraped up as well as thigh right where pocket and phone were. Phone was off but otherwise unharmed.
(11-13-2010, 02:12 AM)dave_sd Wrote:  Liberally apply beer to the mouth area. It makes you feel better in no time.
That's why ate a cheeseburger, drank a six-pack and took a Darvacet. To kill the pain. I have to ride early tomorrow!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Rode 5 miles today- all on pavement but still rode. Seems my front disk pads were contaminated with oil. May have been reason I went down the hill way faster than I wanted to and fell at bottom. Problem fixed, as well as leg loosening up from bruise that still has not surfaced. Feels bad down deep, but no discolored surface yet. On lookout for DVT- both wife and Mom-in Law are in medical field so I have good eyes to help me on looking for it.

Have another week vacation- and looking forward to a mid week ride again-- may avoid that hill or just walk that section for now.
Your riding for a week, to allow you to work the muscles and erm keep from over exertion. Beer to mouth hahaha that was funny!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!