Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Schwinn Skyliner
hey all...

I have an opportunity to buy this pretty much brand new bike from a disgruntled Walmart buyer and would appreciate some input from others who are smarter than I. This should mean...about all of you.

Posted price was originally 150 and when I pointed out that Wally World sold these at about that same price and I offered 50, the seller got pissed and said that the rack on it was worth 50. So.....I said that if he was to keep the rack could I have the bike for free since I already have two racks in my garage.

I want the frame for a build but he now wants 100. The components are totally undamaged but I would only use them on a buyit/fixit/sell it bike.

Any thoughts in the community?
Things are getting worse faster than I can lower my standards
Well, $100 for a roughly new bike that goes for $150 seems fair, especially if he did put on some accessories. That said, I wouldn't invest a whole lot of time building a bike onto a frame that came on a $150 bike. Putting nicer parts on a junky frame doesn't give you a great bike.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is. But if it's a good frame/parts for what you're building, so be it.
(12-30-2010, 09:45 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Well, $100 for a roughly new bike that goes for $150 seems fair, especially if he did put on some accessories. That said, I wouldn't invest a whole lot of time building a bike onto a frame that came on a $150 bike. Putting nicer parts on a junky frame doesn't give you a great bike.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is. But if it's a good frame/parts for what you're building, so be it.

My goal is to put my gal on a bike that she may not even ride. She expresses interest but when push comes to shove she finds a reason not to ride. She camps and canoes etc so it's not like she's adverse to outside stuff. GRRRRRR.....

I already have bought and then sold a 1800 dollar trike that she liked and then ignored. If it wasn't for the fact that in most other ways she's a damn fine person I wouldn't bother. And NO, I am not going to quit my almost daily 15 mile ride around town but I would really like her to join in the fun. And, YES, i do understand that this issue is outside of the parameters of our bike forum....sorry......

Thanks for your input and I totally understand and agree with what you said. Part of my post is just me venting to a "hopefully' understanding community of riders.
same problem here. says they are too bumpy (she is rather top-heavy) and doesn't like the seats. the kids are hounding her to ride also. she did have a good experience on my mtb, i plan to trade her hardtail she doesn't ride for a dual suspender this summer and see how that goes. your not alone, dude.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
My answer is to just keep on getting on my bike since I did this before her appearance and will probably do so afterwards.

I think that if she was a bad person she wouldn't be so darn good in every other way so I may end up just riding alone. I know, I should count my blessings right?

Thanks for at least allowing me to feel that I'm not the only one........
Little input if you don't mind. Simple answer stop trying to get her to ride. She may come around eventually. Go on your daily ride and let things happen on their own Wink .

As far as what Dave was saying is that with Bikes you get what ya pay for Wink.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(12-31-2010, 11:37 AM)Bill Wrote:  Little input if you don't mind. Simple answer stop trying to get her to ride. She may come around eventually. Go on your daily ride and let things happen on their own Wink .

As far as what Dave was saying is that with Bikes you get what ya pay for Wink.

It always seems that I do things the hard way for a while until I have that "AH-HA" moment and then pull my head out of my backside. I appreciate the input and will attempt to do things that way. Fortunately Susie and I aren't trying to ride a tandem.