Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Severed shift cable
Hi! :-)

I was wondering how much it would cost to repair a broken shift changing cable on an giant fcr (with shimano)?

The cable appears to be severed where it enters the shift changing housing.

Also, The shift changer housing is damaged (see pic) in such a way that the wire there is exposed to the elements.

I've never replaced anything cable related, and I was wondering how much it would be at the lbs, especially since there are really two problems here.

Thanks in advance!

Los

(*)
I think the last time I bought a cable/housing at the lbs it was around $5 or so. Most of the time now I buy online, but that's because I know what I'm looking for.

Doing cabling isn't too hard, it just really hurts when you accidentally stab yourself with the cable end
los. Dig this... http://bikeride.com/inner-shift-cable/
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I saw this, I'm thinking about actually doing the repair myself ! ! (holds breath)
(03-04-2011, 11:54 PM)los Wrote:  I saw this, I'm thinking about actually doing the repair myself ! ! (holds breath)

Are you going to replace just the inner cable or the outer too? its almost imposable to cut the outer gear cable with out the proper cutters a dremel is the only other way i have found to work but it takes forever and melts the inner plastic of the cable.
(03-05-2011, 11:22 AM)Darrenjs92ni Wrote:  
(03-04-2011, 11:54 PM)los Wrote:  I saw this, I'm thinking about actually doing the repair myself ! ! (holds breath)

Are you going to replace just the inner cable or the outer too? its almost imposable to cut the outer gear cable with out the proper cutters a dremel is the only other way i have found to work but it takes forever and melts the inner plastic of the cable.

You can cut outer gear cable with wire cutters, it just takes a little muscle added into it. Once you cut it, you shape it back into a circle and you're good to go.
@Darrenjs92ni Its the inner cable thats severed. Cant I just reuse the outer cable?

los
(03-05-2011, 01:45 PM)los Wrote:  @Darrenjs92ni Its the inner cable thats severed. Cant I just reuse the outer cable?

los

Looking at the picture, it looks like just replacing the inner cable would be fine.
@nameused So just using regular wire cutters should be ok for the inner cable ..?
(03-05-2011, 01:55 PM)los Wrote:  @nameused So just using regular wire cutters should be ok for the inner cable ..?

yea good pliers cut the inner cable
(03-05-2011, 01:55 PM)los Wrote:  @nameused So just using regular wire cutters should be ok for the inner cable ..?

Yep should be fine. That's what I've used on all of the cables I've done.
ooo, my shifters are the same as yours i think, i was replaced my inner cables last friday as i wanted to shorten the cable housing and the inner cable was frayed so couldn't reuse it. just remove the 2 screws on top of the shifter and use some thing sharp to poke the end out (watch your eyes!). you may want to use the sharp poker to open up the inside of the cable housing, i had a problem before that when i went to shift down on the front derailleur the cable housing moved out with the inner cable because i didnt poke it when i had replaced the housing cable.

[attachment=1984]

Possibly Related Threads...