Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Writing a resume as a mechanic
So I'm looking for an apprenticeship as a bike mechanic, and need a resume. I've never been employed in a formal bike shop, but a year or so ago I started a small bike co-op and learned enough to consider myself a fairly decent mechanic (though I still have plenty to learn). I love bikes, I'm passionate about fixing them, and I'm very eager to learn more about how they work and to become a better mechanic.

Would anyone have any recommendations for writing a resume as an aspiring mechanic? Anything I should know? It'd be perfect if someone could even send me one that I could use as a sort of template.
Honesty is ALWAYS the BEST POLICY when it comes to resumes, or anything else for that matter. Your initial post here is a fine resume or letter along with your real education. If the prospective employer doesn't like it then look elsewhere. Don't take rejection personally, who knows, they might be looking for someone with lesser qualifications so they can afford to pay them. But this current recessionary economy is fraught with lack of consumer confidence, FUTURE uncertainty, and employers unwilling to make future plans, no thanks to the current U.S. administration's inability to recognize that small businesses are the true employers of 80 percent of the people yet these businesses are facing the prospect of higher future taxes. (Don't get me started "GeorgeET" - from some liberal beach in CA, we're trying to stay friends, remember?) LOL

Smile
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Without discussing the economy, or my personal stance concerning conservative and liberal agendas...ehhhmmm...I agree with KC (concerning his answer to the question), honesty is the best way to go. As a shop owner, I am always amused by the fledgling mechanic who comes in with an attitude of superiority. Be humble, be honest and try to have your attitude about bicycles as your driving factor. You have some accomplishments, the co-op, and some ability so list it, but also list your desire to work with bikes. Leave out what you did in your frat, or how many words you type, useless information does nothing to inspire confidence that you understand what it takes to be a mechanic. Good Luck.
(07-30-2010, 02:25 PM)manuscripts Wrote:  So I'm looking for an apprenticeship as a bike mechanic, and need a resume. I've never been employed in a formal bike shop, but a year or so ago I started a small bike co-op and learned enough to consider myself a fairly decent mechanic (though I still have plenty to learn). I love bikes, I'm passionate about fixing them, and I'm very eager to learn more about how they work and to become a better mechanic.

Would anyone have any recommendations for writing a resume as an aspiring mechanic? Anything I should know? It'd be perfect if someone could even send me one that I could use as a sort of template.
Zen13, I am telling the O.P. WHY he should expect to be turned down for employment. No political agenda here. It's economics is all. It's not my fault the president hasn't figured it out yet.

Read and learn.
http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-New-Economy/dp/0595204406

Steve
Just a quick follow up. If the O.P. knows that the reason he is turned down is not because of his resume then he will continue to be honest, and maybe less discouraged that it isn't "him."

Steve
Just put all your previous work experiences, both past and present. It is very important to put as many work experience as you can but make sure you make your resume as short and simple as possible.
When and if you do talk to an owner or manager, don't be over confident or brag Wink . Just be you calm, collected, and simply friendly.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(07-30-2010, 02:25 PM)manuscripts Wrote:  So I'm looking for an apprenticeship as a bike mechanic, and need a resume. . . . Anything I should know? . . .

As a follow up to my original reply last July, I think small business owners might have less uncertainty about the future, and therefore might be more willing to hire people now. My own business has grown since the first of the year. Smile

Steve
(07-30-2010, 02:25 PM)manuscripts Wrote:  So I'm looking for an apprenticeship as a bike mechanic, and need a resume. I've never been employed in a formal bike shop, but a year or so ago I started a small bike co-op and learned enough to consider myself a fairly decent mechanic (though I still have plenty to learn). I love bikes, I'm passionate about fixing them, and I'm very eager to learn more about how they work and to become a better mechanic.

If you search online then you get many mechanic resume templates... And creating your resume mostly focus on your worked experience whatever you mention.
Bike Rack || Bike Rack Reviews
im very glad to hear that steve!Smile in a totally non-bicycle related field, ive noticed my competition is picking up, which tells me my industry as a whole is starting to come back. now ive got that charlie daniels song"you never did think" in my head.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
(03-17-2011, 07:39 AM)rogernelson Wrote:  If you search online then you get many mechanic resume templates...

Using a resume template isn't exactly being honest. Most employers want to read it in your own words, and as I stated initially, the OP is fine because it shows his passion. A template would not.

Then imagine being interviewed and your spoken words don't match the template.

Steve
(03-17-2011, 08:10 AM)X-RAY Wrote:  im very glad to hear that steve!Smile in a totally non-bicycle related field, ive noticed my competition is picking up, which tells me my industry as a whole is starting to come back. now ive got that charlie daniels song"you never did think" in my head.

The economy is in a delicate position that could tumble easily right now though. My fingers are crossed . . . hoping it sticks. Smile

Erin go Bragh!
Steve

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Last Post: ou2mame