Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Pedal bearings
Just a quick question, does anyone know what size bearings to put in pedals? I have taken my old pedals apart to refurbish thinking they would be a largeish size only to discover they are tiny pinhead sized things.
If it helps to know the pedal type they are odyssey shark bites that are about 12 years old.
ride until your wheels fall off
Unfortunately; various sizes. Measure what you took out - which is what I do, then get replacements.

They are most likely an integer number of 1/16a, 1/32s or 1/64s of an inch. Less likely is that they are an integer number of millimeters.
Nigel
ok thanks for the info, i've not got anything that can accurately measure something as small as they are so i'll take them to halfords to see if i can get the correct size.
they are loose bearings, is it possible to change it to a sealed or caged bearing or would i just be wasting my money?
loose are stiffer than caged; cages are for assembly convenience and actually result in a weaker bearing because the cage takes up space that are used for more balls.

with respect to installing sealed bearing in something not originally designed for them - not possible without a precision machine shop - should not cost you more than $2000-......
Nigel
Thanks for the reply, think ill take your advice and stick with the loose bearings, just gotta work out how big they are and i can get them ordered.

I wouldn't mind buying a new pair but i cant find anyone that actually selling shark bites so im assuming they are no longer in production which is no surprise as they're bloody lethal if your not careful ive had some massive chunks taken out of my shins in the past.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6708

says they are no longer available....
Nigel
(05-14-2011, 08:30 PM)mrdunk Wrote:  Thanks for the reply, think ill take your advice and stick with the loose bearings, just gotta work out how big they are and i can get them ordered.

I wouldn't mind buying a new pair but i cant find anyone that actually selling shark bites so im assuming they are no longer in production which is no surprise as they're bloody lethal if your not careful ive had some massive chunks taken out of my shins in the past.

Haha, liked that one mate.

So they're actually proper sharks attached to your cranks? Not just regular pedals???!!
(05-16-2011, 08:58 AM)Dalton2250 Wrote:  
(05-14-2011, 08:30 PM)mrdunk Wrote:  Thanks for the reply, think ill take your advice and stick with the loose bearings, just gotta work out how big they are and i can get them ordered.

Haha, liked that one mate.

So they're actually proper sharks attached to your cranks? Not just regular pedals???!!

yes they definitely deserve their name, ive stuck with them despite the danger because i dont like the idea of using clip on pedals and they bit into your shoes so well your feet have no chance of sliding off
You think your's are bad? I've got about 20 12mm pins sticking out of each side of my pedals! You really can't fall off these, but I still wouldn't go near them without shin pads. I'll whack a photo up later if you like.

I do agree with you though, I don't really like the idea of clipless pedals, and having tried them I really couldn't get on with them. I'm certain a decent set of flats however will negate the majority of the benefits of SPDs (though that's a whole other can of worms). I actually feel I have far more grip and control on my monster-pin flats than I ever had with SPDs, and I can disengage effortlessly if I need to put a foot out.
(05-16-2011, 05:34 PM)JonB Wrote:  You think your's are bad? I've got about 20 12mm pins sticking out of each side of my pedals! You really can't fall off these, but I still wouldn't go near them without shin pads. I'll whack a photo up later if you like.

I do agree with you though, I don't really like the idea of clipless pedals, and having tried them I really couldn't get on with them. I'm certain a decent set of flats however will negate the majority of the benefits of SPDs (though that's a whole other can of worms). I actually feel I have far more grip and control on my monster-pin flats than I ever had with SPDs, and I can disengage effortlessly if I need to put a foot out.

if you can put some pics up please do, i like the sound of them pedals.
just 1 question though and im probably being thick here but what does spd stand for
(05-14-2011, 08:30 PM)mrdunk Wrote:  I wouldn't mind buying a new pair but i cant find anyone that actually selling shark bites so im assuming they are no longer in production which is no surprise as they're bloody lethal if your not careful ive had some massive chunks taken out of my shins in the past.

Tried ebay? I see some UK listings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Jesper

08-30-2021, 03:46 AM
Last Post: Poissonj1

05-26-2015, 02:31 PM