Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bent derailleur hanger tool wont fit
Can anyone say how to straighten and bent or twisted derailleur when the drop out is a bolt on piece and and the pivot point looks like it's a press in pin over which the derailleur pivots. (haven't tried to unscrew pin I don't want to damage the face of it and I doubt it's threaded). Therefore, there is no screw hole available on the drop out to attach alignment tool. Very frustrating and not satisfactory to do it all by eye ... don't think it's very accurate at the moment. Help much appreciated.
snap a pic please
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
thanks Painkiller, hope you can help. You should be able to see dropout hanger and pin and around which the derailleur pivots. The pin is pressed not threaded. It is also the location where the alignment tool should bolt in. Not being able to remove the pin and bolt in the tool means I can't use the tool to do the alignment. Any ideas?
(Not sure if pic has uploaded, will double check later)[attachment=2418]
alex
I would say that it is not a dropout but rather the derailleur itself. replace it
or take it off the bike set it on a hard flat surface place a socket over the pin and hit it with a hammer or use the ratchet as a torque bar.
A new one would only cost 10 to 20 bucks us dollars
It would be helpful to update your bio with where you are from so we can suggest where to find parts for you in the future
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
not worth trying to fix; as there is also most likely un-seen damage to the derailleur.

This would be an upgrade to what you have - they work well, one of my bikes has one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-RD-TX31-Tourney-7-Speed-Derailleur/dp/B001GSKNCA/
or this one, which is newer:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tourney-TX55-Derailleur-Speed/dp/B003ZMH69S/

Note: derailleurs work fine on lower number of speeds; thus an 8 speed will work fine on 5, 6, 7 or 8 speeds.

You could get one of these; but you still need the bolt:
http://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Index-Hanger-Shimano-compatible/dp/B001PT8M8C/
Nigel
Thanks Guys, I've updated my profile and fyi I'm from Melbourne, Australia ... I'd reckon that Amazon is the only bike shop we have in common for parts. This is oldish bike i'm fixing for no good reason other than it's there. My partner picks up bikes like stray dogs, brings them home in rusted, beat up condition. Usually I find that, other than surface rust, water in bearings etc, a bit of recondition shows the strays up to be good bikes that have had little use and ride well. They've been sitting doing nothing for a long time. Anyway, we collect them, they mount up in the garage after basic repairs that usually cost next to nothing other than my time, and then I give them away to my partners friends. It's of a satisfying break from normal work if you know what I mean.

I've got another question, which I'll post in the gear section, about freewheel cluster that have a wobble. Almost all my bikes have a slight wobble in the cluster and I'm wondering why that is. It's seems almost endemic to cheap to mid range bikes. it's not a bent axle otherwise the whole wheel would wobble, which it doesn't. Anyway, if you're interested, lookout for the post. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
cheers
Alex

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

06-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: MamboNumber5