Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Slightly alarmed about cassette removal!
Hi guys,

I've followed the tutorial video on how to remove a cassette cluster on my Sram cassette.

I wrapped my new chain whip around one of the larger cogs, inserted the cassette removal tool & took hold of it with my adjustable wrench.

I proceeded to push the wrench handle and chain whip handle towards each other, but no matter how much force I used, the lockring wouldn't budge one tiny bit.

Does anyone know what the problem might be & how to resolve it?

Muchas apprecianados fellas

Si
Sometimes you have to put the "freewheel" removal tool in a vise and twist the wheel by hand.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Is it a cassette or a freewheel?

Cassettes' retainer comes of fairly easily.

As Bill says; for freewheels, clamping the tool in a heavy duty bench vice - attached to a heavy bench - is the best way to remove them. Leave the tire on, and inflate to maximum recommended pressure for something to grip on to. And triple check that your trying to go in the correct direction - opposite of the what the chain pulls the gears when you are riding.
Nigel
(05-30-2011, 06:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  And triple check that your trying to go in the correct direction - opposite of the what the chain pulls the gears when you are riding.

The easiest way to remember which side you have to turn is counter-clockwise if you put the removal tool in a bench vise, like you would with a regular screw!
Hi guys,

Hmmm, I appreciate your feedback. However, I'm pretty sure it's a cassette. I thought most modern mid-high end bikes came with cassettes rather than freewheels nowadays?

Anyway, let me give you all a bit of background to my cassette saga.

I actually tried removing my cassette without the use of a chainwhip, where I simply held the cassette in place with a rag & turned the adjustable wrench/cassette tool, just to see if it would work because I didn't have a chainwhip up until this weekend just gone.

Anyway, the cassette did loosen & I managed to slide it off, but there was no freehub body to be found underneath it! I'm fairly sure it was lodged inside the cassette still!

So I put the cassette back on, re-tightened it with my wrench/cassette tool and it made kind of strange, crunching sound as I did this. What I can only assume to be the splines of the cassette 'ratcheting' back on. Bear in mind, I had to use a lot of force for it to make this noise. Otherwise, the cassette just wouldn't re-tighten at all.

Meanwhile, I went to one of the LBS in my area to buy a chainwhip a couple of days ago and while I was there I explained what had happened to the mechanic in the workshop. He said, that Mavic wheels are designed like this, so that you can remove the cassette without necessarily exposing the freehub body. Sound strange? It did to me. So he told me I would need a chainwhip to be able to remove the cassette from the freehub.

This is what I've been trying to do, obviously to no avail.

Apologies for such a lengthy post. I just want to provide all the info I can.

I would post pictures, but I don't think that would convey whatever the issue is, because there doesn't look anything untoward or out of place just to look at it. I can though, if any of you wish.

Cheers very kindly

Si
Yes very strange indeed! Can you post pictures they would really help out!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-11-2015, 01:21 AM
Last Post: eastman

02-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

11-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Last Post: cny-man