Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Correcting wobble within front wheel axle
Would love to know how to get rid of the slight wobble after I removed the front wheel for a tire change, on my Navigator 100.
When first removing wheel took out the hub spindle, as I did not know how to release brake pads - that I figured out when putting back - but wheel in front still has some movement - wobble.
Did I replace that backwards or what ? - don't think there are bearings missing.
Not a complete "expert" on this.
Thanks in advance.
I can't tell if you actually opened up the bearings on the wheel or maybe just took out the quick release skewer. I would look at this first: http://bikeride.com/remove-install-wheels/
If the wobble is in the bearings, then you need to review the "how to overhaul a hub" video. But don't ride the bike until you figure out what is going on, your wheel could fall off (that would be "bad")
Looked at the video, but got fed up, early, at the obvious.
So maybe the crucial part was missed.
I took out, "straightly" the center wire type rod.- knew there was ball bearings in there.
Got the wheel off, by pulling and spreading the break pads.
Now know that was the wrong way to go about it.
When wheel was totally off, realized that I should send it to cycle repair shop,- for new tires - with this spindle in place. - for fear of loosing bearings.
Don't know, if I put it back, in place, the right way.
Just know the tapered ends of the small springs face inwards and adding slight amount of grease.
Not like the old Dutch cycles I am used to.
Got everything back,but not without this slight play on the front wheel axle.
Thanks for any reply.
The "rod" you mention is called the quick release skewer (at least in the US). Even though it is right there with the bearings, it actually doesn't connect to them. You need wrenches to open up the bearing races. The quick release does the same job as the two nuts on the end of the axle on an older bike.

Quick releases won't fine, but you have ot mount the wheel right. Take the bike into the shop and ask someone to walk you through removing and mounting the wheel. It should take 2 minutes. But there are safety issues if you do it wrong.

Good luck
(11-17-2011, 04:44 PM)Hans Klaris Wrote:  Looked at the video, but got fed up, early, at the obvious.

Hans; Alex spent a great deal of effort to make easy to understand comprehensive videos. If you want to know how to work on your bicycle, his videos are the best resource on the internet. Otherwise; pay your bike shop to do the work.
Nigel
(11-17-2011, 10:35 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(11-17-2011, 04:44 PM)Hans Klaris Wrote:  Looked at the video, but got fed up, early, at the obvious.

Hans; Alex spent a great deal of effort to make easy to understand comprehensive videos. If you want to know how to work on your bicycle, his videos are the best resource on the internet. Otherwise; pay your bike shop to do the work.

Thanks guys, but I am from the old school, and just trying to figure out how to get around on this web site.
I believe in the kiss system / approach and yes, I am an old stubborn Dutchman.
The word "pay" is very ugly to me.
I believe in learn by doing.
I can understand the concept of ball bearings not connected to anything and even a race.
I will try to look at the available videos again.
Thanks thus far.

Possibly Related Threads...