Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

93 Rockhopper Comp..need opinions
Started on my Rockhopper Comp project and cannot decide what way to go with the wheels, so I am asking for opinions from the bicycle tutor gang, over all the bike is deep in color and I am torn between silver hoops and black hoops. so let me hear some opinions. I love this bike and wish it would fit under my bed but we can't have our way all the time can we! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ahhh this is the one you were talking about! Very very nice!!! I say go with the silver rims they set off the other silver partsWink. Then again the dark ones make a nice match with the rest of the bike.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-15-2012, 04:36 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ahhh this is the one you were talking about! Very very nice!!! I say go with the silver rims they set off the other silver partsWink. Then again the dark ones make a nice match with the rest of the bike.
Thanks Bill, thats what I am talking about, I feel the same way. I may have to flip a coin
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I vote silver rims as it would accentuate her other raw alloys.

If I may ask a personal question... why would you want to keep her under the bed when you know full well that there is room under the covers? Wink
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Ahahahaha Atleast there was no mention of a closet Wink
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-15-2012, 05:27 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ahahahaha Atleast there was no mention of a closet Wink
Are you serious Bill, what married for thirty years guy even has a closet? I will check it out and get back to you later. I will ask my wife how I am doing today and if I have a closet, again Smile
I'd go with the silver rims, I think they provide a good accent to the dark color frame.
Nigel
(09-15-2012, 08:57 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I'd go with the silver rims, I think they provide a good accent to the dark color frame.
And purple nipples. I know Nigel was thinking it! Wink
You need a 3D Violet bottle cage on that machine. I gots one. Wannit?
Wow, it seems silver so far has it hands down. I am a little surprised, I kinda favor the black. So much so I was going to build up a set of all black even the braking surface anodized Nos Araya Rm-20s. the silver ones in the pic are Araya R rm-20s with black spokes laced to Dx hubs which would be suitable for a early 90's bike. I thought purple nipples would look good but when the wheels were built they were just for wheels to have for future use. I guess I should order some purple nips and swap them out.
I googled 1993 rockhopper comp and saw a pic of the same bike posted around 2009, they had some purple ano on it too and a purple water bottle cage.I thought it was a little much, let me know what you want for the cage Rob. I just do not want to over do it. There is actually nothing wrong with the original specialzed wheels. Maybe I should just polish the crap out of those and roll with it since silver seems to be the fave. Thanks for all the input so far guys
Bob. I want 2.2 Million Dollars for the 3D Violet bottle cage that I am prepared to Will to you for mere Postage. Smile
Black is a Today thing. Fad, if you will. While it is cooler than Chartruese, you and I know where it belongs.
Like you, I love keeping old bikes rolling. If time and money are not short, I am big on doing the 'Period Correct' thing. Lacking Time and Money - I often do as you are doing and wind up giving the ride to a neighbor kid that I insist he keep his grades up or give it back. It's very heart-warming to see a kid smile over such a simple pleasure that you and I probably took for granted back in 1924.
(09-15-2012, 09:57 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Wow, it seems silver so far has it hands down. I am a little surprised, I kinda favor the black... the silver ones in the pic are Araya R rm-20s with black spokes laced to Dx hubs...
Chu needs eat a taco and tink about it, Amigo. In 'Robs Garage', there is a pre-parralax XT front hub in Black. Chu kin put it unner u pillow an' sleep on it. Maybe the Tooth Fairy smile on you and ...
(09-15-2012, 07:19 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(09-15-2012, 05:27 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ahahahaha Atleast there was no mention of a closet Wink
Are you serious Bill, what married for thirty years guy even has a closet? I will check it out and get back to you later. I will ask my wife how I am doing today and if I have a closet, again Smile

LMAO! Noo I meant back in the old days when we were erm young, adults always had their "really good pricey items" stashed in a safe hidden in a closet! I really wasn't insinuating anything remotely suggestive as to ones preference in gender! Lol.
That is a really nice bike though! Oh has anyone heard of a bike collector with the last name of Hansen or Henderson? He also has an older car which he is from New Jersey?
Silver. Classy & clean.
silver it is then, Thanks guys. My wife was silver also. Not one person went with the black as first pic except me. silver is what came with it and I think I will polish the crap out of them and see how they look and my $300+ set of just built silver back on the wall for now
Yes silver is a great choice my friend, looking at the silver that is on it they bring out the wheels as vice versa.
Well, just to be contrary, I rather like the black front wheel and think it would look nice if the rear mathched. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

09-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Last Post: mrdunk