Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Headset bolt spinning in threadless headset
Hi

I'm new to the forum and need help. I bought a used year old Trek 7300 and then bought a headset extension to give me a more up right riding position. I'm 67 and bending over is no longer an option. Anyway to get to the point I installed the headset extension and after tightening the headset bolt there was still a little play in the headset. I'm pretty sure I tightened the headset bolt before the clamp bolts but after several attempts I can't say for sure I didn't forget something along the way as I said I'm 67. Anyway after several attempts I thought well maybe I just need to tighten it a little more, big mistake. The headset bolt hex head is not stripped I repeat the headset bolt hex head is not stripped but is spinning. I'm guessing the star nut is spinning or the rivet in the star nut is spinning or the threads are stripped in the bolt or star nut rivet. My question is how do I get the headset apart now?
(05-17-2013, 10:09 PM)screwed up again Wrote:  Hi

I'm new to the forum and need help. I bought a used year old Trek 7300 and then bought a headset extension to give me a more up right riding position. I'm 67 and bending over is no longer an option. Anyway to get to the point I installed the headset extension and after tightening the headset bolt there was still a little play in the headset. I'm pretty sure I tightened the headset bolt before the clamp bolts but after several attempts I can't say for sure I didn't forget something along the way as I said I'm 67. Anyway after several attempts I thought well maybe I just need to tighten it a little more, big mistake. The headset bolt hex head is not stripped I repeat the headset bolt hex head is not stripped but is spinning. I'm guessing the star nut is spinning or the rivet in the star nut is spinning or the threads are stripped in the bolt or star nut rivet. My question is how do I get the headset apart now?

Update to my post. I took the front wheel off and looked up into the tube with a flash light while I turned the headset hex nut and sure enough the threaded rivet in the center of the star nut has come loose and turning. Any suggestions?
That's going to be a tough job, ideally get a friend to help you, with the stem clamp bolts loose you will need your friend to pull up on the handlebars as if he is trying to pull the stem up and off the forks, make sure he is well braced! Then you should turn the top cap allen key bolt anti clockwise which should hopefully then come out of the star nut in the fork. If that works then just buy a new star nut from your local bike shop, they should be able to fit it aswell. Whilst your at the shop they can also check if there are enough headset spacers fitted to allow the headset bearing to tighten up sufficiently
Thanks torquecyclerepairs...I'll go give that a try.
(05-18-2013, 04:49 PM)screwed up again Wrote:  Thanks torquecyclerepairs...I'll go give that a try.

Rats...that didn't work any other ideas? Would it be possible I could turn the bike over and using a steel rod against the bottom of the headset bolt pound on it and break the threaded rivet in the center of the star nut loose?
Star nut isn't supposed to go back easily... You'll break or force your fork tube trying to get the star nut

Usually, try to remove stem, bolt and fork, then put a new star nut inside the fork tube over the old one, tapping the old one down first with a socket and extension, and a rubber mallet...
(05-18-2013, 10:38 PM)bobtravers Wrote:  Star nut isn't supposed to go back easily... You'll break or force your fork tube trying to get the star nut

Usually, try to remove stem, bolt and fork, then put a new star nut inside the fork tube over the old one, tapping the old one down first with a socket and extension, and a rubber mallet...

Your right I didn't think about the possibility of breaking the fork tube. The trouble is I can't get to the top to drive the star nut down since the cap is still on. I was hoping I would be able to drive the rivet out of the star nut but I don't want to take a chance of breaking the fork tube. What would you do?
is the bottom of your fork tube open?, if so carefully cut your cap with a dremmel cut off wheel, make an x across the top of the cap. you do not have to go all the way thru, just a bit deeper in the middle.
then get a rod or punch or chisel and hammer until the cap cracks off
and keep driving the star nut and bolt thru the bottom
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-19-2013, 09:53 AM)painkiller Wrote:  is the bottom of your fork tube open?, if so carefully cut your cap with a dremmel cut off wheel, make an x across the top of the cap. you do not have to go all the way thru, just a bit deeper in the middle.
then get a rod or punch or chisel and hammer until the cap cracks off
and keep driving the star nut and bolt thru the bottom

Thanks Painkiller...that did the trick. Thank you all for the help. Now I just have to buy a few parts and put things back together. Another lesson learned, now if I just don't forget.

Screwed up again
awesome ! keep us posted
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-29-2023, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Talha

02-24-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ajstevo

09-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: darreng