Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New Rider. Is Cannondale Super V 900 a good start?
HI,

Looking for a bike to expand my transportation/fitness options. I'm a graduate student, so my budget is a bit embarrassing (hence the need for non-gym fitness & non car transport options)
After research I've determined that big-box store bikes are out of the question. If I can't afford a nice one, I sure can't afford a broken one. So I've decided on either a used bike, or a bikesdirect bike will be a better approach. I'm fairly mechanical, and think I can manage most basic maintenance & repair issues. (I've had to keep my awful college-car on the road for several years now - so lots of wrenching practice)
I found a Cannondale Super V 900 locally for $180. It needs a brake cable, but that doesn't look too hard to do myself.
Is this a good option for a starter bike? I'm on quite hilly terrain, and dirt & gravel roads. Will ride it around campus, but mostly use it for an errand bike from home to town (8 miles each way).
It appears to be a reputable & durable bike, but would love to have feedback from people in the know.
If not this, what do you recommend for a commuter/errand bike for hilly, rough terrain?

Many thanks!
Is it stolen? An asking price of 10% of its MSRP is surprisingly low.

Cable replacement is trivial.

Take it for a ride, if it fits, go for it.
Nigel
Sounds like a bargain to me! If you go to look at it ask the seller about where he got the bike and why he's selling, you will soon be able to tell if it's likely to be stolen
Thank You to both of you for replies. He seems to have had it a while & knows what parts he's got on it & what he's done to it. It's not a big cycling area (WAY not) so not a lot of market for any bike over about $50. Going to go have a look & feel him out. Don't want a hot bike, but that hadn't even been on my radar - thanks for the heads up.
The super V900 is quite an old bike now, I remember when I bought my Cannondale F500 I looked at the Super V range and I couldn't quite stretch to the V500.

Like most Cannondales the frames and forks are good but sometimes the components can be, on the lesser modles, what I would call, Low rent, usually you'll get a smattering of Shimano on the bike but a lot of components will be Cannondales own Coda range.

To me it sounds like a good buy, you could buy it and use the money you have spare to upspec it to a bike you'll like, just check out the serial numbers on the frame for any tampering, on the Cannondales they are under the gear cable guide under the bottom bracket, remove the philips screw and just slide the guide out the way, any sign of grinding or tampering and it's likely to be a hot bike.
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
(09-01-2013, 11:52 AM)surreypete Wrote:  The super V900 is quite an old bike now, I remember when I bought my Cannondale F500 I looked at the Super V range and I couldn't quite stretch to the V500.

Like most Cannondales the frames and forks are good but sometimes the components can be, on the lesser modles, what I would call, Low rent, usually you'll get a smattering of Shimano on the bike but a lot of components will be Cannondales own Coda range.

To me it sounds like a good buy, you could buy it and use the money you have spare to upspec it to a bike you'll like, just check out the serial numbers on the frame for any tampering, on the Cannondales they are under the gear cable guide under the bottom bracket, remove the philips screw and just slide the guide out the way, any sign of grinding or tampering and it's likely to be a hot bike.

(09-01-2013, 11:52 AM)surreypete Wrote:  The super V900 is quite an old bike now, I remember when I bought my Cannondale F500 I looked at the Super V range and I couldn't quite stretch to the V500.

(07-02-2015, 12:43 AM)Jedijumper Wrote:  

(07-02-2015, 12:43 AM)Jedijumper Wrote:  

This Super V900 is a steal. I have a 1998 model. It was a pro level bike from the from through the top of the line Shimano XT rear deralleur to the SXT-RC front. Fatty Headshocks, FOX Vanilla rear shocks, CODA cranks and pedals, very nice Mavic wheels, AVID brakes, Shimano levers, 24 speed on 3 groups. I've ridden this bicycle hard for 17 years and never needed anything but a new chain and some tires. Slick rocks in Moab, ridge riding in The Rockies, the best trail riding on the east coast: handled it all with ease. I rode it today. There is a reason the Super V900 cost $2000. It was damned worth it and I've gotten every penny's worth. It will last years more. It's a bad ass mountain bike.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Bill

10-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Teisco_Kid