Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Needs help finding tire
About a week ago I had a violent blow-out on my front tire of my mountain bike. After examining the tire, the bead came off the tire itself. I'd like to replace the tire as I just don't think it's safe anymore. And, of course, the tube is toast.

I've looked online and have seen no good 26x1.95 tires. Do I have to use 26x1.95? Or can I go a little bit smaller? I'm not changing the wheel, though.

Also, I'd like to purchase some good inner tubes. I'm starting to dislike the Hutchinson "20% thicker than the competitors" inner tubes. The Hutchinson tubes that advertised that (also the one that blew out) is just as thin.
You could get away with tyres ranging from 26 - 1.50 up to a 26 - 2.10 with no issues, I've found Schwalbe tubes to be good quality.
So I could get a 26x2.10 or a 26x1.75 tire and be okay?

I've found tires and tubes to be easy to find for the 26x2.10 size.
You don't tell us where you, budget, etc; so difficult to provide specific recommendations.

For general riding, but not deep sand or deep mud, the 26 x 1.75 tire sold at Wal-mart in the USA is excellent. It is a Bell brand with Kevlar belts under the tread, made by Vittoria (sp?). For tubes, I run Avenir TR in everything except our tandem which has Kenda.
Nigel
I live in Central Missouri. I don't want to spend anything over 50 dollars for everything, so I'm limiting to about 35 dollars for the tire. I only need one tire, though.

Thanks.
get this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Bell-26-Inch-Comfort-Bike-KEVLAR/dp/B0012RJSXK/
also available at Wal-mart.

Get a thorn resistant tube, and STOP FLAT 2 liners.
Nigel
Is Bell really a good brand?

I've heard mixed things about it. I have no problems with their tubes, but I don't know about tires.
This particular one is made by Vittoria. Bell contracts with many tire manufacturers for different tires, Vittoria is a superior brand. For 26 x _.__ for pavement, dirt roads, gravel it is one of the best, if not the best tire out there. It is not so good in deep mud or deep sand - it is a bit narrow for those conditions.
Nigel
Okay.

Will I have to under-inflate/over-inflate for the 26x1.75 tire to fit on my 26x1.95 rim?
inflate it to what suits your riding style, there is a min and max recommended inflation pressure on the side wall. On the street, I generally run 70psi with is 5psi above the max recommended; but I am a big guy.
Nigel
(06-01-2013, 11:10 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  inflate it to what suits your riding style, there is a min and max recommended inflation pressure on the side wall. On the street, I generally run 70psi with is 5psi above the max recommended; but I am a big guy.

Well, that's kinda how I got in trouble with my last tire. I inflated it to 65 PSI and the maximum was 50 PSI. I inflated my rear tire to 75 PSI and the maximum was 50 PSI and had no problems, so I thought 65 PSI on the front would be no problem (as I never took the front over 60.) Well, I was wrong as it blew out. Thankfully I saw it and kind of got away from it before it blew.
Also, is there a way of buying Panaracer Inner Tubes here in the U.S.?
(06-02-2013, 02:29 PM)garrett01 Wrote:  Also, is there a way of buying Panaracer Inner Tubes here in the U.S.?

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_lbr_brands_browse-_95?rh=n%3A3375251%2Cn%3A%213375301%2Cn%3A3403201%2Cn%3A6388965011%2Cn%3A3404991​%2Cp_lbr_brands_browse-bin%3Apanaracer&bbn=3404991&ie=UTF8&qid=1370203878&rnid=2528832011
Nigel
Are Panaracer tubes any good?
yes you can get little bit smaller than 26x1.95 tiers. there are so many small tiers available like etc.
(06-03-2013, 02:26 AM)garrett01 Wrote:  Are Panaracer tubes any good?
as good as any.

I use Avenir, Kenda and Sunlite.
Nigel
All I want is a good tire that isn't extremely expensive.

I'm a bit worried about the Bell (Vittoria [sp]) tire that nfmisso recommended. I'm about 290/300 pounds, and that tire doesn't have the best rating out there.

I'm not looking for a 5-star excellent rating, or something that is going to cost $40 per tire. I'm just looking for something that will truly do it's job and not leave me stranded.

I'm also starting to wonder where I can get a new rim, tire, and tube for my road bike that is 27x1 1/4. The rims are steel and I was told can't hold the 90 PSI that the new 27x1 1/4 tires require. Because one time I pumped my rear tire on the road bike up to about 84 PSI (the bead was on the rim good) and the tube blew out. Then I rode it at 65 PSI, a safe pressure, and it got snakebit.
(06-05-2013, 10:54 AM)garrett01 Wrote:  All I want is a good tire that isn't extremely expensive.

I'm a bit worried about the Bell (Vittoria [sp]) tire that nfmisso recommended. I'm about 290/300 pounds, and that tire doesn't have the best rating out there.

I'm not looking for a 5-star excellent rating, or something that is going to cost $40 per tire. I'm just looking for something that will truly do it's job and not leave me stranded.

I'm also starting to wonder where I can get a new rim, tire, and tube for my road bike that is 27x1 1/4. The rims are steel and I was told can't hold the 90 PSI that the new 27x1 1/4 tires require. Because one time I pumped my rear tire on the road bike up to about 84 PSI (the bead was on the rim good) and the tube blew out. Then I rode it at 65 PSI, a safe pressure, and it got snakebit.
I am heavier than you.....

on the ISO 630 - get new rims; consider changing to ISO 622 (700c).
Nigel
How much will upgrading to 700c cost?

[Can the moderator split this off into another topic for the road bike?]
(06-05-2013, 05:36 PM)garrett01 Wrote:  How much will upgrading to 700c cost?

Depends on what you can do, and if you like your present hubs.

If you like your present hubs, and feel comfortable building a wheel, AND your brakes have 4mm more reach than you are currently using; you are looking at: rims, spokes, nipples, tires and tubes - $150- on the low side, infinite $ on the high side.

If your brakes don't have the extra reach, add another $50 to $100-

If you do not feel comfortable building your own wheels, add another $50 to $200-. As you are a Clyde (like me); off the rack machine built wheels will have spoke failures quickly - which is why I learned to build my own.

We don't know enough about your bike to say for sure.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...