Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What type of bolt it is ? How do I unscrew it?
[attachment=4317]
Hello
I have purchase nice dutch bike recently.However stand is not straight and I would like to adjust it. There is a very strange pin/bolt and I dont know the name of it and what tool to use and if is even possibile to unscrew it.I have attached picture.Its the grey one beside 2 blacks.Thanks for help.
(07-21-2013, 02:42 PM)jonas12 Wrote:  Hello
I have purchase nice dutch bike recently.However stand is not straight and I would like to adjust it. There is a very strange pin/bolt and I dont know the name of it and what tool to use and if is even possibile to unscrew it.I have attached picture.Its the grey one beside 2 blacks.Thanks for help.
What does the other side look like? To me it looks like there was a nut and washer on this side at one time, based on the indentation of the metal.

Please note the crack in the piece behind - that is not good, and needs to be replaced.
Nigel
[attachment=4322][attachment=4323][attachment=4323][attachment=4322]
(07-21-2013, 05:18 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(07-21-2013, 02:42 PM)jonas12 Wrote:  Hello
What does the other side look like? To me it looks like there was a nut and washer on this side at one time, based on the indentation of the metal.

Please note the crack in the piece behind - that is not good, and needs to be replaced.

hello
thanks for reply.The head of the bolt of the other side looks exactly the same.I have a paint peeling there, is not a crack.I have also attached overall picture of that kickstand .Basically the part with the little "hook"at the bottom(visible on the picture in my fisr post) should be lower so it will hold the kickstand in the right position.At the moment the kickstand is too low ,almost with the wheel level, so the bike is not stable when standing.
can't see all of the head because a spoke is blocking the view; there appears to be a hole in it - is it a hex shaped hole or round? If round, your only choices are to punch it out from the outside, or drill it out from the inside. Definitely take the wheel off to do either.
Nigel
It looks like a rivet to me...
Hi
Yes, I think is the rivet .I google it and it looks like that.There is no any hole in it.Now, the question: how to unscrew it ?
one would drill it and replace with a bolt and lock nut. or rivet and gun, or peen or press a rivet in. On a restoration I would choose to press or peen a rivet in
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hmmmmm. kind of hard to tell what exactly is causing the stand not to work. Sounds like the stop needs re adjusting. Taking the pivot rivet off will not do that. Examine the hooked stop carefully and see which way it needs to move to hold the stand in the right position. Perhaps penetrating oil and a tap from a hammer will realign it.

I think the pivot is a smooth roller on outside, maybe a smooth internally threaded sleeve with bolt with two hole catch screwed in with special tool. Soak it with a penetrating oil and cut a slot in it for a screwdriver. If that does not work drill it out as has been suggested, you will also need to take off the stop plate and bolt it back on in proper alignment using threaded bolts, for the stand you can replace it with a smooth shoulder bolt not threaded all the way, use a nylon lock nut and a star lock washer. Put some light grease on the smooth part.
Never Give Up!!!
BTW looking at your second post of photos the #2 shot of the stand down shows that the stand does not engage the stop it needs to swing to the stop hook. So find out why it does not swing to the stop. It needs to swing under the wheel.
Never Give Up!!!
It is a rivet, have you tried to pull the stand over the rivet?
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
Those look like cold rivets to me, they just use a press and die to burr over the end of the rivet when they make the bike, as said above you can drill them out from one side and either replace with a pop rivet or I would use a decent bolt and nut, even a nyloc nut so it wont come loose
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-14-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Kon

11-02-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Jesper

06-17-2013, 12:46 PM