Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Newbie - problem with pedals
Hello all,

First of all, sorry if I need a bit of explaining - first bike I've owned since I was a kid and I've never done repairs. The other day I was biking to work when I took a stroke forward on the right and the pedal just slipped down. The pedals are now at similar levels (instead of opposite as they should be), making my bike unbikeable, sadly.

I have no idea what the problem is, but there were a few symptoms (I think) before this happened. There's been a clicking noise for a while whenever I take a stroke forward, and the other day I had a bit of a wipe out. I also had to leave my bike in the rain while I was at work unfortunately. The bike didn't ride as smooth after that. The bike is a 5-speed 1985 Schwinn World Tourist for reference. Really appreciate any help I could get!
If I understand what you're describing right, one of your "crank arms" has come loose. This are the arms that connect the pedal to the bike. At the center point where the cranks attach to the axle that goes through the frame, they are held on with a nut (it's probably under a plastic cover).

You may be able to pull the crank off, put it back in the right place and retighten that nut. However, If this is what happened, almost certain that the crank arm that came loose is damaged and will have to be replaced.

Other possibility is that the axle that goes through the frame ("bottom bracket") broke. Rare, but possible.

Fixing either of these situations is not major, but may take a few special tools and know how. Depending on whether you want to spend a little time learning or just want it working again now will tell you whether to dig in to it yourself or just take to a shop.
The nut holding the crank to the axle has come completely undone. Do you still have the nut?

The rain is not related to the crank problem. After the rain, the wheel bearings, bottom bracket and headset probably need to be pulled apart, cleaned and re-greased. The wheel bearings and bottom bracket bearings are not well protected from rain and spray on the World Tourist.

Depending on the damage, it may or not be easily repairable - and if extensive, you will need a TL-20 tool (can be hard to find) to repair.

If you are close, bring it over - I am the resident Schwinn World Tourist expert on this board; and have the tool needed.
(11-22-2013, 01:14 PM)DaveM Wrote:  If I understand what you're describing right, one of your "crank arms" has come loose. This are the arms that connect the pedal to the bike. At the center point where the cranks attach to the axle that goes through the frame, they are held on with a nut (it's probably under a plastic cover).

You may be able to pull the crank off, put it back in the right place and retighten that nut. However, If this is what happened, almost certain that the crank arm that came loose is damaged and will have to be replaced.

Other possibility is that the axle that goes through the frame ("bottom bracket") broke. Rare, but possible.

Fixing either of these situations is not major, but may take a few special tools and know how. Depending on whether you want to spend a little time learning or just want it working again now will tell you whether to dig in to it yourself or just take to a shop.

Hi Dave; the World Tourist is a little bit different, it has Shimano's front free wheel system. The crankset is an Octalink style, but different and not compatible with Octalink V1 or V2.

If the crank arm is damaged beyond use, there are a couple choices:
* find an arm from another Shimano FFS equipped bike.
* replace the crankset and bottom bracket and 5 speed sprocket (it is not a freewheel, but mounts to the same threads as a freewheel).
Nigel
Thanks so much for the helpful hints! Do either of you know anywhere I can look up how to go about fixing or replacing the nut attaching the crank arms to the axil? And thanks so much for the offer nfmisso, but unfortunately I'm on the opposite coast.

(11-22-2013, 02:09 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  The nut holding the crank to the axle has come completely undone. Do you still have the nut?

The rain is not related to the crank problem. After the rain, the wheel bearings, bottom bracket and headset probably need to be pulled apart, cleaned and re-greased. The wheel bearings and bottom bracket bearings are not well protected from rain and spray on the World Tourist.

Depending on the damage, it may or not be easily repairable - and if extensive, you will need a TL-20 tool (can be hard to find) to repair.

If you are close, bring it over - I am the resident Schwinn World Tourist expert on this board; and have the tool needed.
(11-22-2013, 01:14 PM)DaveM Wrote:  If I understand what you're describing right, one of your "crank arms" has come loose. This are the arms that connect the pedal to the bike. At the center point where the cranks attach to the axle that goes through the frame, they are held on with a nut (it's probably under a plastic cover).

Hi Dave; the World Tourist is a little bit different, it has Shimano's front free wheel system. The crankset is an Octalink style, but different and not compatible with Octalink V1 or V2.

If the crank arm is damaged beyond use, there are a couple choices:
* find an arm from another Shimano FFS equipped bike.
* replace the crankset and bottom bracket and 5 speed sprocket (it is not a freewheel, but mounts to the same threads as a freewheel).
(11-24-2013, 02:45 PM)samdan12 Wrote:  Thanks so much for the helpful hints! Do either of you know anywhere I can look up how to go about fixing or replacing the nut attaching the crank arms to the axil? ...

The nut is the standard size for cotterless cranks:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Bottom-Bracket-Axle-Only/dp/B000AOA0QK/
local bike shop should have them also.

The cranks can be removed with a standard puller:
http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Crank-Puller/dp/B006UMFUES/
there are many different ones out there.

If the crank arm is damaged, you are out of luck unless you can source a replacement from another similar vintage bike.

If that is the case, it is not too hard to complete remove the existing crankset and BB, and replace with a standard alternative. BUT you also need to remove the cogset on the rear wheel (TL20 tool) and replace with a standard 5 speed freewheel (6 or 7 speed is also possible with minor additional modification).

If you want to replace, this is what you'll need:
http://www.amazon.com/Retrospec-Bicycles-Fixed-Gear-Single-Speed-Crankset/dp/B006A9ZBRM/
(pick color, 44T work well with slight hills, 48T is great if you have no hills to climb)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z8BPJS/
(I'd go with the 68x110 for your application)

http://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-Freewheel-14-28T-5-Speed-Black/dp/B000AYB57S/

http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Bicycle-5-Speed-32-Inch-116L/dp/B0013C4JGU/

You can get the above from other sources.

You will need a few other tools, a local bike co-op will have them, except probably the TL20.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Last Post: debbieinfrance