Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hello from Norway, My Raleigh
This 1946 ? Ralleigh was pulled out from a hedge by a friend and he traded it with me. The backwheel was in a bad shape ,so i replaced it with a pretty simular one from a 1958 Diamant with the same S&A Gear system . Frame number is AL17762 ,but i coudnt get the right year produced from the id pages on the web .Frontlight is a Bosch Rotodyn and it has a dynamo hub . I have only replaced the back wheel ,treated the rust on the frame with a anti corrosive cemical oiled it and polished : ) The bike was overall wery complete
I have also added new handlebars and a new NOS back reflector. Also put on an kickstand and the bag on the seat,but wil replace it with a more authentic one
I have also added new handlebars and a new NOS back reflector. Also put on an kickstand and the bag on the seat,but wil replace it with a more authentic one
Welcome, I do not have to tell you, I like it!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Very nice. I saw these growing up in England. Yours looks great. The bag on the back of the seat looks like a canvas military surplus bag that would be common.
How do the brakes work?
(02-01-2014, 10:39 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  Very nice. I saw these growing up in England. Yours looks great. The bag on the back of the seat looks like a canvas military surplus bag that would be common.
How do the brakes work?

Hello the brakes work great,new pads in the front and the rear brakes is pretty good
Nice Smile
Nigel
Well done. That is a bike with a lot of character!

As I recall from the 1960s and even the '70s there were quite a few bikes in the UK with brakes operated by rods rather than cables. Usually not the most efficient system, but it's great that you have got them working well on your Raleigh.
(02-09-2014, 05:40 PM)Klarion Wrote:  As I recall from the 1960s and even the '70s there were quite a few bikes in the UK with brakes operated by rods rather than cables.
Yep, that's when I was there, they were common in movies & on TV too. Look at any old English WWII movie where street traffic is shown & you'll see them.
Sweet ride you have there! How's cycling in Norway? I'll be heading North in a couple of weeks...
(02-10-2014, 08:02 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Sweet ride you have there! How's cycling in Norway? I'll be heading North in a couple of weeks...

Hello,now its snow and ice where i live one hour north of Oslo,but i was out biking daily until a month ago.Then its nice to go down to the basement to fix some bikes : )
Not too many basements in California due to the earthquakes.
What a cool ride! I love it!!!
Bill
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course