Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How do I remove a rear sealed cartridge bearing
My bike has cassette wobble and I think the free hub needs changing it has the above double sealed cartridge bearing on the rear wheel it does not appear to have any nuts , how do you remove the axle to remove the freehub.
Tx James
Whose make of hub is it?
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(12-14-2009, 05:28 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Whose make of hub is it?
Hi
Thanks for your response it is
Hub
Specialized disc, sealed cartridge bearing, high/low flange w/ OS contact side, 32h
Cassette
Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34t
Bike
Specialized FSRxc comp 2009
I have the same problem, in this case the rear wheel from a Specialized Sequoia with ALX300 wheels and an "a-class" hub.

On the cassette hub side, the axle "wobbles" which leads me to believe the bearing on that side is worn and needs to be replaced. There are no visible nuts or cones. The axle and sealed bearings did have a metal cover, held into place by one set screw on each side. This is also a functional piece that sits in the bottom bracket.

I need some help in the removal and re-installation process of the axle and bearings (assuming you agree that the bearing is the cause for the axle wobble) and if you have a good replacement suggestion for the bearings.

Poor pictures included;

Thanks!
this is where you can find the tech docs for all parts Shimano;
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp
and this is the HG 50 tech doc;
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_1ZX0A/SI-1ZX0A-003-ENG_v1_m56577569830700115.pdf
and this is Specialized customer support, try them for info;
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCGlobalPages.jsp?pageName=support
Many thanks! I'll follow the links and see if I can make some headway.
Those hubs don't look like Shimano to me.
They are probably Specialized own brand and could be a sealed bearing type.
The only references I have seen says to knock the bearings out but I wouldn't know how.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(04-23-2011, 08:51 AM)SLBiker Wrote:  I have the same problem, in this case the rear wheel from a Specialized Sequoia with ALX300 wheels and an "a-class" hub.

On the cassette hub side, the axle "wobbles" which leads me to believe the bearing on that side is worn and needs to be replaced. There are no visible nuts or cones. The axle and sealed bearings did have a metal cover, held into place by one set screw on each side. This is also a functional piece that sits in the bottom bracket.

I need some help in the removal and re-installation process of the axle and bearings (assuming you agree that the bearing is the cause for the axle wobble) and if you have a good replacement suggestion for the bearings.

Poor pictures included;

Thanks!

Hello,

Did you succeed in removing the axe?

Possibly Related Threads...