Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Should I replace my bottom bracket? (fixie)
Hi, I just bought my first fixed gear bike last week but yesterday the bottom bracket loosened. I went to the closest bike shop and asked if they have a tool/wrench for tightening it. I showed the photo of my bottom bracket and i was told that this type of bottom bracket is not suitable for fixed gears. Do I really need to replace it? I'm still a noob regarding bike parts and I'm having second thoughts about replacing it.

Here's a photo of the part of my bb that got loosened:
[Image: 23rjxvd.jpg]

Thanks!
Hogwash - just need to securely lock together. Too young or too ignorant a mechanic.
Not total hogwash on that, the shop was recommending the best way to do it for a fixie. with the BB like the one you have you are tightening the bearing cups which with the forces it takes because of being a fixie act upon it which may make it loosen more often. With a cartridge BB it is all internal and the forces will not loosen as easy in the long run if installed properly. But either should be checked now and again
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Saying what he has is"not suitable" is not the same as saying there's a better option. Besides, what type of BB did decades of track riders ride with minimal problems before cartridges?
(10-21-2014, 08:15 PM)cny-man Wrote:  Saying what he has is"not suitable" is not the same as saying there's a better option. Besides, what type of BB did decades of track riders ride with minimal problems before cartridges?
Its called advancements in technology. You know, like your no line trifocals. Anyway Red, it is fine to use if you want. It tells me it is an entry level Fixie. that type of Bottom bracket is very low end even compared to the ones Cny grew up with. The cartridge style Bottom brackets are night and day smoother and less hassle to upkeep thats all. The shop had your best interest in mind and possibly trying to make a sale. When you feel like upgrading and want it smooth as possible try it out. it would only be around $30 and couple tools you should own anyways
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Fixies put a small amount more stress on a BB than a typical geared road bike, though not more than any off-road bike. The type of BB you have is fine, but it is more important that it be adjusted correctly or it will wear out faster.

The fact that a new bike came with type probably means it is a pretty low end BB and it may not last that long anyway. But there's no reason to change it now. Adjust it and ride it. If it wears out, replace it.
(10-21-2014, 09:37 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(10-21-2014, 08:15 PM)cny-man Wrote:  Saying what he has is"not suitable" is not the same as saying there's a better option. Besides, what type of BB did decades of track riders ride with minimal problems before cartridges?
Its called advancements in technology. You know, like your no line trifocals. Anyway Red, it is fine to use if you want. It tells me it is an entry level Fixie. that type of Bottom bracket is very low end even compared to the ones Cny grew up with. The cartridge style Bottom brackets are night and day smoother and less hassle to upkeep thats all. The shop had your best interest in mind and possibly trying to make a sale. When you feel like upgrading and want it smooth as possible try it out. it would only be around $30 and couple tools you should own anyways

Well, you have the no-line trifocal part right, but I am well aware of advancement in technology, having gone from a slide rule to a smartphone and a one-speed coaster to STI (so I was already "grown up" by the 70's).

The BB is exactly what one would have seen back in that time - yes lower end, but useable. If when properly tightened it still comes loose then replace it. My only argument was with the shop's dismissal of anything but a modern BB.
I with you on the trifocals, things are not what they used to be anymore thats for sure. I understand what your saying. But for me, the idea of a fixie is all about building one for fun and expression. If I build one today I would certainly use the cartridge style, for Red I would say use for its worth and upgrade when the time comes. I have plenty of cup/spindle type in my stable and always will.

Possibly Related Threads...