Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Looking for a bike with budget $500 (incl. helmet and other necessary stuff)
Hi,

I'm looking for a bike to ride around in a city (probably a hybrid one). Before going into detail, I also would like to know what is the different between road bike and hybrid bike?

I currently live in Seattle, WA and I have no any knowledge about buying a bike. Could you guy give me any idea what bike should be good for me with the budget $500. I went to bike store once and the seller have only one for lady bike with almost $700.

PS. I'm female with only 5"
(01-18-2015, 05:54 PM)kakafreedom Wrote:  Hi,

I'm looking for a bike to ride around in a city (probably a hybrid one). Before going into detail, I also would like to know what is the different between road bike and hybrid bike?

I currently live in Seattle, WA and I have no any knowledge about buying a bike. Could you guy give me any idea what bike should be good for me with the budget $500. I went to bike store once and the seller have only one for lady bike with almost $700.

PS. I'm female with only 5"

I would look on Craigs List and buy a one owner ladies bike a couple of years old. Sometimes they will sell the helmet and lock with the bike. I wouldn't pay more the $175 for your first bike. Lots of good older ones around $100 where I live.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
With your limited knowledge - unless you want to learn the technical details of bicycle maintenance - stay with a bicycle shop.

My suggested purchasing process is to visit ALL of the bicycle shops in your area. Get a feel for each shop and their staff. You are picking shop for a long term relationship. You should feel comfortable visiting the shop, talk to the mechanics. They should treat you fairly and with respect. After you visit every shop, pick the two or three you liked the best. Visit them again. On this trip, really look at the bikes as well as the staff. Take some test rides. Again, go home without purchasing. Make a list of the features you liked and did not like about each bike you test rode. Narrow it down to two bikes you really liked, test ride both again. Pick one, and purchase.

$500- budget is doable with accessories. Regarding Helmet; Bell is the highest rated by CSPC, and is available at Wal-mart for less than $20-. Don't pay more. What other accessories do you want? I like a Mircylce mirror, fenders, good lights (front should have a CREE LED; Amazon has some for less than $20-) for rear I like Blinkey 3, 5 and 7, cycling gloves, rack & panniers or basket, lock. You may need $150- or more for accessories.

Hybrid bikes have up right seating positions, an example: scroll down to post #8 for pictures: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4930.html

Road bikes have drop bars and bent over riding positions. An example: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-6382.html

My personal preference is to avoid suspension, especially in your price range. Suspension adds weight and absorbs pedalling energy. The one bike I had with a suspension fork has been changed to a rigid fork, and is much improved for it.
Nigel
I went to few bike shops and here is what I got
1. Jamis Coda Sport 14" for $549 - the size of the bike is just right, has some space so I can bend my knee.
2. Raliegh Detour Women 4.5 15" for 400$ ( it was 500$ but 20% off) it is good too but i think it might difficult to lift up if i take a bus
3. Kona Dew 46cm for $525 -- almost look the same with Coda but this is a little higher -- when I stand with the bike, i can't bend my knee. it was just right.
Google "Seattle bike co-op." Not only info about co-op shops and workspace but also a link to Bike works, which "sells affordable recycled bicycles." It's always best to get in-person assistance.

p.s. - If you can't bend your knee standing over the bike it's not "just right" but rather too large. Not only unsafe and awkward but the reach forward will typically be longer as well, plus will weigh more.
(01-28-2015, 03:03 AM)kakafreedom Wrote:  ..... when I stand with the bike, i can't bend my knee. it was just right.

Please clarify - is that when you are sitting on the saddle, or standing in front of the saddle. You should be barely able to tippie toe both sides when you are sitting on the saddle; and maybe not even that. When you stop, you should be sliding off the saddle.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-21-2021, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Jesper

10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Last Post: rockyraccoon