Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How Critical Of An Error Is This With My Bike Tire Replacement?
I have a mountain bike - 26" and the tires are 1.95

I also have a cruiser bike - 26" and the tires are 2.125

It seems I can use the same innter tubes for both bikes because I get the ones that are like 1.9 to 2.1 or something. I keep the tires on both bikes at 55 psi which is basicly the middle of the range it says to inflate them to on the tires. After 2 weeks they are down to about 48 psi or so. 

I ride both bikes daily and for about 20-40 min each. 

When I ordered new tires for the beach cruiser I bought 1.125 and I just realized the other day that they were supposed to be 2.125

I've been riding almost daily for 4 months on these tires and it has felt normal. I do carry a lot of weight on my bike. I'm not a small woman and I usually have about 20lbs of stuff in my massive sturdy bike basket as well as groceries strapped to the rack in the back as well. When I do my every other week air fill, lube and check tires for glass ritual I noticed that the tire by the tread is splitting just a tiny bit. I chalked it up to just cheap tires and decided I'd get better tires next time. Its happening to my mountain bike with better tires too. Super minor looking..

but...

now that I know I have 1.125 instead of 2.125 on my bike I'm wondering if these tires will like explode or something on me. All my tires have kevlar and Mr. Tuffy tire liners in them if it means anything. 

So... is this a huge error where I should put the correct tires on right away or do you think its okay to leave it as it is until its time for new tires?   If I get a flat its not a huge deal to me, I'm more worried about a tire exploding!

Thanks! 
I think your pulling our leg. 1.125 tires in place of 2.125 tires if I understand what you said. 
Show me a pic of that?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(02-08-2015, 09:54 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  I think your pulling our leg. 1.125 tires in place of 2.125 tires if I understand what you said. 
Show me a pic of that?

I wake up at 3am and see the response notification from this board, read it and go outside to snap a pic of the bike tires with the camera phone on flash and they say 2.125   I looked on all 4 sides. I just me cracking up! I could have sworn I saw 1.125! 36 is too young to be going senile LOL. Well I was worried about it for nothing. Would I be correct in saying that if I tried to put on 1.125 I wouldn't even be able to seat they tire on the rim? Oh I tripped over the dog fence in the dark and knocked it down. Ouch.. great way to start an early morning day! :p
Hi;

There is only one 26 x 1.125 (28-559) tire that I am aware of, made by Continental, and about $40- each on Amazon.  I think that you would have remembered spending $80+ for a pair of tires; $100+ with the correct sized tubes.  Smile They may have fit fine on your rims, depending on the inside width of those rims - 20mm or less, they would have been fine, maybe a bit more.

Regarding the tread separation issue; that is an indication of under inflated tires, aggravated by the tire liners.  The under inflation allows more deformation of the tire as it goes around, kinda like bending a paper clip back and forth.  The less deformation, the longer the tire will last.
Nigel
(02-09-2015, 12:23 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Hi;

There is only one 26 x 1.125 (28-559) tire that I am aware of, made by Continental, and about $40- each on Amazon.  I think that you would have remembered spending $80+ for a pair of tires; $100+ with the correct sized tubes.  Smile  They may have fit fine on your rims, depending on the inside width of those rims - 20mm or less, they would have been fine, maybe a bit more.

Regarding the tread separation issue; that is an indication of under inflated tires, aggravated by the tire liners.  The under inflation allows more deformation of the tire as it goes around, kinda like bending a paper clip back and forth.  The less deformation, the longer the tire will last.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...