Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Clicking noise coming from crankset
Ive been getting a clicking noise coming from the crankset on each revolution (doesnt seem to be the pedals).... Should I start by regreasing the chainring bolts? (bike's only 2 summers old).... or should I be going as far as taking apart the crankset and take out the bottom bracket?
(02-21-2015, 09:21 PM)amnesiac Wrote:  Ive been getting a clicking noise coming from the crankset on each revolution (doesnt seem to be the pedals).... Should I start by regreasing the chainring bolts? (bike's only 2 summers old).... or should I be going as far as taking apart the crankset and take out the bottom bracket?

the pedal is not tapping even just slightly on the kickstand as it goes by?
you can remove the chain and put your ear to the seat and turn your pedals. this will let you know if the bearings are good or if the noise is coming from the bottom bracket.. I think this site has a lesson on how to do it that. 
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(02-21-2015, 09:40 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  
(02-21-2015, 09:21 PM)amnesiac Wrote:  Ive been getting a clicking noise coming from the crankset on each revolution (doesnt seem to be the pedals).... Should I start by regreasing the chainring bolts? (bike's only 2 summers old).... or should I be going as far as taking apart the crankset and take out the bottom bracket?

the pedal is not tapping even just slightly on the kickstand as it goes by?
you can remove the chain and put your ear to the seat and turn your pedals. this will let you know if the bearings are good or if the noise is coming from the bottom bracket.. I think this site has a lesson on how to do it that. 

no kickstand, its definitely from within the BB. You even see the crankset shift a bit when the click occurs, so Im gonna try greasing everything.

How would I know if the bearings are good by putting my ear to the seat exactly?
".......even see the crankset shift a bit when the click occurs....."

You need a new BB.  Grease is not going to do much of anything now, it is long past the point when grease would make a difference.
Nigel
Grease merely reduces friction - it does nothing to prevent cranks from shifting, and grease would not explain a click at a certain point in the rotation. It's also not a good idea to grease the crank bolts. The first step with a BB click is to tighten crank bolts and pedals, possibly chainring bolts. If that does not resolve it pull cranks and pedals, clean mating surfaces and reassemble, tighten well. Same with chainring bolts if still clicking. If it's more of a clunk, then the BB may not be tightened properly to the frame.
Last Spring, On my wife's 1970 Gitane.....  Kiind of a once a revolution click. When Left pedal was at the top of the rotation...  Not at bottom, only at top....   It started out quietly, and became louder...

Oiling the pedal bearings fixed it....   

Prior to that I oiled the crank, tightened the crank arms, and pedals... and oiled the chain... I had spun the left pedal, but it didn't click until the force of the foot was on it, and then it followed the momentary reduction in foot pressure from the top of the rotation... That caused the 'click'.

This was one of the issues that finally convinced me major maintenance was necessary...
(02-23-2015, 06:56 PM)JanJ Wrote:  Last Spring, On my wife's 1970 Gitane.....  Kiind of a once a revolution click. When Left pedal was at the top of the rotation...  Not at bottom, only at top....   It started out quietly, and became louder...

Did you take the pedal apart, clean and re-lube; or just dump oil in there? 

If the latter, the noise will soon return.  If the former - good job Smile
Nigel
(02-23-2015, 08:09 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(02-23-2015, 06:56 PM)JanJ Wrote:  Last Spring, On my wife's 1970 Gitane.....  Kiind of a once a revolution click. When Left pedal was at the top of the rotation...  Not at bottom, only at top....   It started out quietly, and became louder...

Did you take the pedal apart, clean and re-lube; or just dump oil in there? 

If the latter, the noise will soon return.  If the former - good job Smile

I dumped oil in (Last Spring)  But as posted, that was the issue that made me realize that both bikes needed more 'attention' than an occasional splash of oil...... 
Last fall both bikes got a total bearing re-build...  And if Spring ever "Springs"... We'll ride them!!!

But I posted because I had bounced all around the 'clicking' noise until I stumbled onto the cause.. almost by accident. 

Possibly Related Threads...