Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

2005 Trek 2100 OCLV
Picked this up a couple weeks ago and must say for the money, great bike! One to look for if ever in the market for an affordable used road bike. Nicely equipped Shimano road mix of Shimano 105/Ultegra. Carbon fork/seatpost/rear stays. 19.5 pounds.
[Image: 2100full_zps8i6s4i4o.jpg]
[Image: 2100rear_zpsgpnoxbpd.jpg]
[Image: 2100bars_zpsjzjfy5dr.jpg]
[Image: 2100close_zpsqlg1wivd.jpg]
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
[quote='painkiller' pid='33073' dateline='1429466250']
Picked this up a couple weeks ago and must say for the money, great bike! One to look for if ever in the market for an affordable used road bike. Nicely equipped Shimano road mix of Shimano 105/Ultegra. Carbon fork/seatpost/rear stays. 19.5 pounds.

Very nice. Looks like a small frame though. What did you pay for that? $600? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
No problem Elmore, I paid $200, Cleaned it a bit and added the bottle cages and new bar wrap, cable/housing and Tune-up. Listed it for $650, passed on a couple interests and sold it for $500 to a return customer. Her and her husband went for a ride that evening, Hit each other going down a hill in a turn and she ended up in the E.R.. Beat up a bit from head to toe but she will be fine. even cracked her helmet. I then got the bike back the next day to assess the damages. Hench the new DT Swiss wheelset. The bike faired better than her. Bent the front wheel, i could not find a match rim to build off her hub. I recommended this matched set that look great on the bike and help retain value in her new bike. as opposed to mix and match wheels. Now she has a rear to use with a trainer tire in the off season. Most of the bicycles I sell come with free labor/adjustments as long as you own the bike. That was in her favor as I only charged her for the new wheelset. The poor lady, i felt so bad for her to have such a mishap hours after the purchase. Now she is gun shy about the SPD pedals, That is why it is sporting the platform pedals for now. Her husband made out with a touch of road rash and is fine. Crazy! I deliver the bike tomorrow, I hope round two is a better experience for them. Sad

It is a 53cm frame
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Very nice PK. I would like to run into one of those at that bargain price.
. Not sure what 53cm is. Maybe 19"?
The poor lady may have taken her last bike rid? Good luck to her.

(04-19-2015, 03:16 PM)painkiller Wrote:  No problem Elmore, I paid $200, Cleaned it a bit and added the bottle cages and new bar wrap, cable/housing and Tune-up. Listed it for $650, passed on a couple interests and sold it for $500 to a return customer. Her and her husband went for a ride that evening, Hit each other going down a hill in a turn and she ended up in the E.R.. Beat up a bit from head to toe but she will be fine. even cracked her helmet. I then got the bike back the next day to assess the damages. Hench the new DT Swiss wheelset. The bike faired better than her. Bent the front wheel, i could not find a match rim to build off her hub. I recommended this matched set that look great on the bike and help retain value in her new bike. as opposed to mix and match wheels. Now she has a rear to use with a trainer tire in the off season. Most of the bicycles I sell come with free labor/adjustments as long as you own the bike. That was in her favor as I only charged her for the new wheelset. The poor lady, i felt so bad for her to have such a mishap hours after the purchase. Now she is gun shy about the SPD pedals, That is why it is sporting the platform pedals for now. Her husband made out with a touch of road rash and is fine. Crazy! I deliver the bike tomorrow, I hope round two is a better experience for them. Sad

It is a 53cm frame
"Where ever we go, there we are"
That would be around 20.8 inches for the frame. She will be ready to go soon. I am going to offer her a trainer to use to practice with her cleats. take a look at them and lighten the spring load some to see if that helps her.

"Very nice PK. I would like to run into one of those at that bargain price."
I am always looking as is my wife. When they come up, I buy them whether or not I can get right to them or not. They hang until I do. Or have a buyer prospect and then mod to suit. I try to cover my whole area, and if it is a good deal I think i can work with, It's mine. I will say you have to be fast. I just posted the 2100 for $750 and got a hit from the next state. I do this to show value price to people who bought the bike. even after having to replace the wheelset they could still recoup their money if they wanted to. That is a sound purchase in anybody's book if you can do that.
That's a real nice bike for the price. You do have some sweet finds. Glad the lady is going to be ok. Thankfully she had a helmet on. It is scary when you go down. Kinda puts a healthy fear in you.
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Thanks Bill, She does need to get back in her clip in's though.
(04-22-2015, 06:41 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Thanks Bill, She does need to get back in her clip in's though.

Agreed. They make a world of difference
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

That is a nice bike PK! . . .especially for $200!

If you don't mind my asking, would you say the bicycle market has improved, stagnant, or falling out of favor in these times of low gasoline prices (the last 7 to 9 months)?

Thanks,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(04-26-2015, 07:40 AM)KC-Steve Wrote:  That is a nice bike PK! . . .especially for $200!

If you don't mind my asking, would you say the bicycle market has improved, stagnant, or falling out of favor in these times of low gasoline prices (the last 7 to 9 months)?

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks KC. I would say the Bicycle Industry Is steady. For me anyway, Most of the people I sold bikes to are buying them mainly for exercise and family riding. Mostly the plus 60 yr olds. Which has been the trend That I have seen. Not really gas related commuting at all. This may not reflect what the local bike shops are doing, but by the amount of traffic on the local trail systems around the area. I bet it is pretty close to the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-29-2015, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Painkiller