Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Removed front derailleur.
(04-25-2015, 01:23 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(04-24-2015, 05:06 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  The bike shop said it was not worth repairing. ...

Total BS  !!  They just don't have the skills required to take care of a classic RD.  It is just like you would not take your Porsche to a Yugo mechanic.  If you do not want it, please send it to me.

(04-24-2015, 05:06 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  .... On a side note I wish more bikes had these style of fenders. There are no stays down to the wheel nuts and the fenders are fasten tight. The front fender fastens both to the front and back of the fork and the rear fastens to the frame at the bottom and at the top. ...

The reason you do not see this style of fenders is because they are not effective.  To keep splash off your shoes and cranks, the back of the front fender needs to go as close to the ground as practical.  To keep spray off riders behind, the back of rear fender needs to go down to axle level.
Hi Nigel. I don't think you would want this one. It is a mess. The new Shimano Acera derailleur was $35, less then a hours labor at the bike shop. Plus they didn't have the spring and the broken cap that contains it. I suppose I could have looked for a used one and robbed the parts off it or simply put it on the bike. Another thing I learned from the bike shop is that chains are made slightly differently for different size free wheels. So now I have a new chain made and matched for a my 5 cog free wheel. I put 58 bucks into for this repair but paid only $40 for the bike. It's now a beautiful riding bike and another jewel in my old bike collection.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Nice Job Elmore. You seem to be picking up quite a few geared bicycles. Have you purchased a derailleur hanger alignment tool yet? Are you starting to do work on other people's bike's ? That is how I "Sing for my supper" so I can have what I want all for a bit of work.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-26-2015, 11:17 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Nice Job Elmore. You seem to be picking up quite a few geared bicycles. Have you purchased a derailleur hanger alignment tool yet? Are you starting to do work on other people's bike's ? That is how I "Sing for my supper" so I can have what I want all for a bit of work.

It is just a hobby to pass the time of day. I have a little collection and I sell the ones I don't want to keep on Craig's list for slightly more then I buy them for. Probably making $1.49 a hour at  most although I have had some very profitable ones which I put the money the into a bike stand and bike tools.
"Where ever we go, there we are"

Possibly Related Threads...