Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

A Front Derailleur mounting and matching problem.
Hello,

I have a Scott Sub (hybrid) from 2008. The stock components (mostly Shimano mountain bike components) were old and wearing out so i decided to strip the bike and replace pretty much everything with new and upgraded components. I decided to change the drive train to road bike components (a 10-speed rear cassette and a two-chainring set up front) and went about purchasing them.

Put everything on with the last major part being the front derailleur and it was here I ran into a problem. I’d bought a Tiagra front derailleur, FD-4600-B, and when it came to attaching it I found that the seat tube was, at the point of clamping, widening gradually making the clamping unstable.

Checking the old front derailleur, I realised it was a top-swing model which fit nicely on the parallel tube-sides at the bottom section of the seat tube. The new Tiagra bottom-swing front derailleur had to clamp further up onto the section of the seat tube that was widening.

I wonder if anyone could help me:
1) Is there a front derailleur that is top-swing, works with a 16t-difference front chainring set (50/34) and indexed (Tiagra SL-4600) shifters?

2) I have seen top-swing derailleurs on the Shimano website but they are for a three-chainring setup or if a dual-chainring setup they are spec-ed at 14t. Would the former work well enough with my front shifter?

3) Is there something else I haven't thought of?

Thx

Possibly Related Threads...