Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Tyres keep popping off wheels...
Hello guys

Just bought a new pair of 700c hybrid wheelset with an inside rim width of 19mm. I have tried to fit schwalbe 700 x 40c tyres on them but the tyres just pop out from the rim when inflated. It seems to be a loose fit. Somebody please advise.

Thanks
Anybody please???
(10-12-2015, 12:45 AM)ibie1983 Wrote:  Anybody please???

I would suggest you have the wrong size tires. I no expert but if you look on the tires or google bicycle tires there are numbers on them that tell you the exact size. Or you could take the old and the new tires into your local bike shop and they will straighten it out in a minute.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Could be a couple things.
- You could be fitting the tires wrong. If you're not getting the bead equally seated all the way around it will push off when you inflate. Try installing the tire, pumping up to around 20-30 psi, and then inspect.
- If the tube is getting caught under the bead of the tire, that can push it up an over the edge of the rim when you inflate. Try inflating the tube just enough so it holds a doughnut shape when you put it in the tire and on the rim.
- could be a bad combination of rims & tires. Even though they are all the same "size", some rims run slightly small and some tires run slightly big. Put them together and you can have trouble. You could try another brand tire just to see. I've never experienced Schawlbes to be particularly loose, but all brands vary a little.
- Could be just too wide a tire for those rims.

You might want to go into a shop and have someone pro try installing to help determine if it's something you're doing or if there's a problem with the parts.
(10-10-2015, 10:13 AM)ibie1983 Wrote:  Hello guys

Just bought a new pair of 700c hybrid wheelset with an inside rim width of 19mm. I have tried to fit schwalbe 700 x 40c tyres on them but the tyres just pop out from the rim when inflated. It seems to be a loose fit. Somebody please advise.

Thanks

Those are VERY wide tires to be putting on rims that are designed for 23 mm tires.
40mm tires should work on a 19mm rim.

Are you trying to do this tubeless or with tubes?

What is the make and model of rim and wheel?
(04-08-2024, 12:08 PM)Frankly Wrote:  

Thanks

Those are VERY wide tires to be putting on rims that are designed for 23 mm tires.

I agree!

(04-12-2024, 05:33 AM)enkei Wrote:  40mm tires should work on a 19mm rim.

@enkei "zombie thread"; I do not think a response will be forthcoming.
I would not recommend putting 40mm tires on that rim unless it was at or over 20mm inner rim width. General rule is not over 2x the inner rim width so 38mm max and even then I would probably stay at about 35-36mm. No concern for me since tires would never clear my frames; 30 mm max. (presently working on a CX frame though). I never go below about 1.5x rim width (I run 19mm tires on 13mm rims).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(04-12-2024, 10:20 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(04-08-2024, 12:08 PM)Frankly Wrote:  

Thanks

I agree!

(04-12-2024, 05:33 AM)enkei Wrote:  40mm tires should work on a 19mm rim.

@enkei "zombie thread"; I do not think a response will be forthcoming.
I would not recommend putting 40mm tires on that rim unless it was at or over 20mm inner rim width. General rule is not over 2x the inner rim width so 38mm max and even then I would probably stay at about 35-36mm. No concern for me since tires would never clear my frames; 30 mm max. (presently working on a CX frame though). I never go below about 1.5x rim width (I run 19mm tires on 13mm rims).

MTBs run much wider than 2x rim width all the time without problem. I'm currently running 43mm (gravel) tires on 21mm rims, again, with no problem whatsoever. The manufacturer of my wheels says they'll take up to 45c.

But thanks, I hadn't spotted that this was a zombie thread, LOL.
(04-15-2024, 03:14 PM)enkei Wrote:  MTBs run much wider than 2x rim width all the time without problem. I'm currently running 43mm (gravel) tires on 21mm rims, again, with no problem whatsoever. The manufacturer of my wheels says they'll take up to 45c.

But thanks, I hadn't spotted that this was a zombie thread, LOL.

I am probably looking at it from a roadie perspective where pressures are much higher. I also am not aware if the rims and tires for mtb purposes are designed differently due to their use. I would have to look at some road and mtb rims side by side to compare.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(04-16-2024, 04:05 AM)Jesper Wrote:  I am probably looking at it from a roadie perspective where pressures are much higher.

Yeah, that makes sense. I wouldn't be running 38c tires on a road bike, in any case. I have to say, though, that as much fun as my light, narrow-tired road bikes are, I love how my gravel bike on 43mm tires just sneers at the potholes.

Possibly Related Threads...