Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Never seen these before.
My brother bought these:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=15823

For his brake and derailleur replacement cables.

Reason: Cheap.

I must admit, I have never seen (that I can recall) brake cables that have a knob at both ends. The derailleur cables are even funkier (although no picture is available on the site), and have an acorn type nut on one end.

He has v-brakes and an LX drivetrain from approx. 2001. Anyone think these will work if I just hack off the ends?

I can reuse the housing ferrules and I'm not concerned about cable ends, as I solder all the ends of my cables.

I feel kinda silly having done a gazillion cable replacements, but I've just never seen this kind before.

Help?
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
I think they are two sided because they are two different types they are two of the more popular cable ends. So you can use either side to suit your need. I saw something about it somewhere. I'll search for it
Bam!

http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1641/115/
It's quite common to get cables with different "heads" at each end. Just chop off the one you don't want.

I have also come across some cables that have the same shape heads but are different sizes so won't fit. (as per the Shimano / Campag' brake cables) I have ground the head down so that it fits snug.

N.B. If you overdo it though, then there is the chance of the cable pulling out of the head under heavy braking conditions!!
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Well, I'll be. I always bought them with one head. Maybe I'm just lucky. Thanks for the great link!
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
(01-16-2010, 07:29 AM)jr14 Wrote:  Well, I'll be. I always bought them with one head. Maybe I'm just lucky. Thanks for the great link!

No prob.