Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Personal review of the Park TL-10
Hello all,
Just wanted to share that I received my Park Tool TL-10 Shop Tire Tool. Found here: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TL-10 . It is a very versitile, handy, and awesome tool to have. The only tricky part is that you have to dig a little bit to "hook" the tire with the handle which is plastic. When the video says seconds it means just that. I tried 18" tire all the way up to the biggest one I have which is 26" tire and boy was it nice taking them off and putting them back on. Not actually for taking on the commute with one but definitely a shop must!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Well I've been thinking about getting one of those. Plastic on it I'm not sure how long that will last tho. But I did want one at the time but now I know it has plastic I'm not sure now lol.
(02-18-2010, 08:43 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  Well I'v been thinking about getting one of those.Plastic on it I'm not sure how long that will last tho. But I did want one at the time but now I know it has plastic I'm not sure now lol.

The plastic in time would wear out just like levers do. Don't get me wrong it is pretty solid plastic, umm top grade lol, that is molded pretty good and they offer replacement pieces as well. The slider handle is not really the piece that would break or wear out it is the axle clip that concerns me a tad. If you would not get this I would say go for the heavy duty levers ( made of metal I believe). The Park Tool model is TL-5 .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hey Bill, thanks for the review. This is my first post, but I've been "lurking" this site quite a bit. You inspired me to purchase this tool for my modest home work shop. I have to say, I was not impressed at first with its removal ability. I am an avid mountain biker and trying to remove wire beaded tires was a chore with it. BUT, I will say, that it was OUTSTANDING in putting them back on!! I was truly impressed. With wire beads, as you know, that last 7 or 8 inches can be a brutal struggle sometimes, but not with this tool. It zipped the bead on in no time. Just for the installation ease this was well worth the money. Thanks again for your review and inspiration to buy this. Smile
Your welcome, I did forget to mention about which way to take the tire off and putting it back on does seem to have an effect for the better. The best way to describe is shown here right on Park Tool's website..... http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TL-10 .
When the guy takes the tire off he starts on the cassette side on the right side of the tire from the valve stem turning it clockwise. Putting back on (Remounting) he also starts at the same point turning it counterclockwise. Yes MTB tires are a real painful process. Try doing a beach cruiser tire lol. Glad this was of help. Enjoy your new tool Smile .

Bill

Possibly Related Threads...