Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to remove left arm of FSA SL/K
It is very easy to remove the left arm on two piece Shimano and FSA cranks... just loosen the pinch bolt and the arm slides off the splines. My new bike has an FSA SL/K two piece carbon which (obviously) doesn't use the pinch bolt system. I removed the screw using an 8mm hex key and expected the arm to slide off the spines. It didn't. I do not know what self-extracting means. Do I need a puller to remove the arm?
Ok I can tell you this is where you will start..
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?taxid=98&layout=product

that is the website of the company who makes the FSA parts. There is a link on the upper left that says Service and tech and it should be somewhere in there. Sorry not as attentive as usual, been sick and very exhausted lately. Sad

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks for the link but I have already been there. The "tech" sheet says remove the m18 bolt and remove the arm. As you can see from my before and after photos above--I have removed the bolt but the arm is still in place. Anyone have hands on experience with this crank?
...j
...just called FSA. Looks like the "self extracting" portion of my crank bolt is MIA. I guess that explains it.
...j
(05-03-2010, 03:32 PM)j beede Wrote:  Thanks for the link but I have already been there. The "tech" sheet says remove the m18 bolt and remove the arm. As you can see from my before and after photos above--I have removed the bolt but the arm is still in place. Anyone have hands on experience with this crank?
...j
...just called FSA. Looks like the "self extracting" portion of my crank bolt is MIA. I guess that explains it.
...j

Did they give you an alternative method of removing it? I was thinking that maybe if you lightly tap on the front and the rear of the pedal maybe it will give way and come off?

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The arm is wedged onto the splines and will require the self-extractor to remove it. The piece that is missing is not available as a part from FSA, but is part of the crank bolt assembly which is available for $11. A special "pin wrench" is required as well. I think FSA cranks perform well--but their support has been less than delightful. They offered no help at all on my MegaExo bottom bracket problems. Come to think of it, dealing with Shimano is no walk in the park either. Maybe I will try SRAM next time Smile

Possibly Related Threads...