Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fair asking price for Bianchi Reparto Corse
Here's the bike. What's a fair price to ask for it? Cheers

2002 Italian Bianchi road bike. 55cm bike. Bike is in great shape with no crashes and ridden under 500 miles.

Frame: Bianchi Reparto Corse (Mega Pro-L lite alloy frame 7005 double butted exclusive set).
Fork: Bianchi Reparto Corse fork -carbon.
Wheels: Xaero-x Spinergy Ironman hubs and rims.

Components:
Ultegra flight brake/shift levers
Ultrega derailers (front and rear)
Campagnolo Chorus brakes
Campagnolo bottom bracket
Shimano 600 crank
Aheadset AC headset
Ritchey handlebar, stem, and seatpost
Titanium flight saddle

Also includes:
Nashbar extralite pedals
Cateye mity 8 computer
Water cage and bottle
Pump

[attachment=903]
Also should I ebay or craigslist it?
Well to be honest, prices are based upon what people are willing to pay. I know that is contrary to Economics 101 where it is based upon supply and demand. But I wrote a book about the fact supply has nothing to do with it because if people demand it, then someone will supply it for the right price. You would have to read the book to understand, so take my word for it, the price is what people are willing pay. And they might not pay the same amount in your region as they would in mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-New-Economy/dp/0595204406/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274367535&sr=1-1

Therefore, the best way to determine price is to look on Craigslist or eBay and see what people are asking for a similar bike.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Who taught your econ 101 class? If there is unmet demand, prices will rise to the equilibrium. If the equilibrium price is above the marginal cost, supply will increase and the equilibrium price will drop. Classic economics. Of course that all assumes large, efficient markets which is not always true for any particular bike. But I haven't read the book, so I'm sure there is more subtlety to your proposition. Smile

To shmule-05, I think KC-Steve's point, which is correct, is that it depends a lot on where you are. Look at local craigslist, ebay, and any other places people sell used bikes in your area and then make a educated guess.
(05-20-2010, 05:00 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Who taught your econ 101 class? If there is unmet demand, prices will rise to the equilibrium. If the equilibrium price is above the marginal cost, supply will increase and the equilibrium price will drop. Classic economics. Of course that all assumes large, efficient markets which is not always true for any particular bike. But I haven't read the book, so I'm sure there is more subtlety to your proposition. Smile

To shmule-05, I think KC-Steve's point, which is correct, is that it depends a lot on where you are. Look at local craigslist, ebay, and any other places people sell used bikes in your area and then make a educated guess.

Yeah I know all about Keynesian, Classical and Neoclassical economics. I was working on my masters degree and decided it wasn't going anywhere. My point of view in the book is not widely known and is called Heterodox Economic Theory which presents a real-world analysis, unlike the others. Smile

Steve
As always, the problem is usually not in the "theory" itself, but in those pesky little assumptions. Like the one that no one would ever be dumb enough to take out a mortgage they couldn't afford...damn those irrational economic agents messing up our theory!
^^ Ha-ha-ha!

Smile
Then there is the good ole fashioned B.S. in BS (bull$4**)!!! Wow I can remember way back when I had a PHD in BS! I stopped drinking and the local "bar" removed my ejamakashun dikreee! (BIG TIME JOKE LOL).
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hi Bill,

I wasn't lying or BS'ing. It is a loooong story but I thought a higher education would get me the job I was looking for but it never happened. I decided not to waste any more money (~$1500 per credit hour). I wrote that book back in 2001 (even more relevant today than I ever imagined back then) just 6-credit hours short of masters degree completion and then went into business for myself as a consultant/web designer, pretty much disgusted with the University and the job market.

Hope ya made it home okay last night. Smile

Steve
Oh my ealerier post wasn't aimed at anyone person at all, I was merely talking about me Wink. I do agree that soemtimes when one gets a higher education they only find themselves repaying the loans at a much less paying job then they trained for. It is sad but true Sad .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
In my opinion and based on my experience as an occasional eBay seller over the past decade, your asking price--or starting bid--should be the lowest price at which you'd be pleased/willing to sell the bike. And that price may have nothing to do with market value or any of the traditional factors. You may just want, for example, to find an enthusiast who will appreciate the bike, so you price it at what you have into it and see what happens. I've sold plenty of bikes on eBay like that, not to make money, per se, just to find a happy home for one I found at a yard sale or flea market or thrift shop or wherever. Occasionally, you make a good bit of money and that is always preferred. Sometimes, arg, the bike just doesn't sell at your asking price, no matter how realistic, so be careful with it all. Usually, however, I find it to be pretty much a break-even proposition, and I just do 'local pick-up only' so I don't have to hassle with shipping or fret over whether the buyer will be pleased with the purchase.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post