Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Squeaking noise when standing on road bike
Message:I have a US Postal carbon fiber Trek, year 2002 I think. It make a squeaking noise when I am standing and pedaling on hills. I can also get the same squeak while riding by simply shaking the bike by the handle bars. It seems to be from the back of the bike, while the bike is moving side to side. It does not make the noise while seated, no matter how hard I pedal.

I just had a full tune and the squeak persists. Any thoughts? BB
Listen in the seat area very close, you may want someone to help you with this as it is hard for just one person to pin down the sound.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(05-26-2010, 08:00 PM)Bill Wrote:  Listen in the seat area very close, you may want someone to help you with this as it is hard for just one person to pin down the sound.

Thanks, I have taken the seat post out and lubed but no change. It seems in the seat stay or bottom bracket. I am taking it in again. Thx. BB
Ok yea it is probably best to let them try and look it over. I would suggest more but sometimes squeaks are a pain in the well seat lol . Oh what I meant by the seat is the seat itself. Some call it saddle, but I had a problem with a MTB that I had to take apart the apparatus of the saddle and lightly VERY lightly apply some grease. Took care of the problem. If you say it is when you shake it though, that may not be the cause. Seems when your weight is applied the noise appears. As cooky as this sounds it may be in the headset area. Reason I say this is because sometimes sounds/noises can sound like they are coming from somewhere other then the actual area while riding.
Just let the shop handle it as they are the ones who did the tune up ? .

Good luck Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...