Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Gum Wall versus Wire Bead (Road Tire)
Hey all I was wandering what the advantages of Gum Wall is over Wire bead. Also I would like to know the top tire for road cycling.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Gum Wall just means the amber finish to the side walls.
Loads of info here, read the "tech docs"
http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c1-1016-racing.html
See told ya I was not a pro Tongue . Thanks for clearing that up. Still gonna look around at other makes and model. However I do like the Durano Plus.

Quick Edit: I should have put the size on here too. Size I am looking for is either 27" x 1 1/4" or 27" 1 1/8" . Too bad schwalbe doesn't carry those sizes. Even tried to cross the sizes and they don't have anything.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Schwalbe do one under the Active line, hs 159, available in the UK, may be US too?
But this size is definitely getting harder to find, along with 26 x 1,3/8 and 1,1/4 and wheels in these sizes are too, and dearer.
(07-19-2010, 09:21 AM)Bill Wrote:  . . . I should have put the size on here too. Size I am looking for is either 27" x 1 1/4" or 27" 1 1/8" . . .

Bill, if you are looking for the Traveler tires, then I think you need to stay with the 27" 1-1/4 width because that is the rim size for the Traveler. My rims are 1-1/8 width and will have a difficult time finding replacements for those in the future.

You might check here though, just a thought.
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/27in-road-tires

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Good food for thought. That's what I will stay with then. The tires on it now are 1/8 though Steve?
Sorry, my mistake. I thought I saw a photo of the rims saying 1-1/4. Stay with whatever the rims are. Smile

Steve
It doesn't matter what width you choose as long as you stick to the right dia. ie 27" (ETRTO 630) as long as your rims are not excessively wide.
I have ridden 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" all on the same rim in the past, the only thing is that the narrower tyres tend to require a higher pressure and give a less comfortable but faster ride.
Oh! and are harder to fit.
I looked at the Traveler photos again, and yes the RIMS are 27" 1-1/4 sized. I personally would go with the less-rare 1-1/4 width that it was designed for in the first place. No point in buying something that is difficult to find unless it is MUCH cheaper, but then I don't buy cheap tires though. And there is no telling how long it sat on the shelf. Tires degrade with age whether used or not.

Steve
Update: I decided to give these a try as I really could not find the tread I was looking for. http://www.amazon.com/CST-Cheng-Shin-C-740-Blue/dp/B0039UY4Z0/ . Now Kenda had way too many bad reviews on there tires. Schwalbe did not offer the right kind of tread. Michelin's website did not offer jackcrap for information. Most of the others don't even carry 27" tires anymore. The price listed above went up after I bought those! They were not $15.00 each but rather $7.50. Really did not care for that move and no they were not on sale when I got them. I went to Amazon.com because sellers on ebay are putting prices way too high on stuff. That and figured buy from Amazon it will support this site as well.
Ok now I am done ranting about prices these tires are rated for max 100psi. Red in color (will make it go 10mph faster lololol), smooth tread which I was looking for, and weighs only 400g.

EDIT: my bad here is the correct link: http://www.amazon.com/CST-Cheng-Shin-Tire-C-740/dp/B0037N7TBK/ but notice a price difference in the two as well.