Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How do I remove Maillard freewheel?
Hi I got this old Puch/austro diamler with European componentry. I can't find a tool to remove the Maillard freewheel.
Any suggestions?
There is a bearing out in the freewheel and I want to try and fix it.

thanks in advance!
That one takes a really hard-to-find remover called a "normandy freewheel remover". Jim Langley has a post about it here: http://jimlangley.blogspot.com/2008/12/q-removing-old-freewheel-fixie-cranks.html

I wasn't able to find anywhere to get it from online. Your local bike shop may have one in their shop.
Have you done a search on google for the tool you need? Or you could take it to a bike shop and have them take it off for you some times they will do it for free. Never hurts to ask lol. Let us know what you find out.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Not very sure but after about 5minutes of searching I did find this website which you could email them and see if they have any in stock left. Make sure it is the one you will need by providing the link the Alex gave ya for reference in the email.
http://www.bicycletool.com/normandymaillardfreewheeltool.aspx

Trust me they are RARE!!!

Cheers,
Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
thanks folks,
sorry for posting this in the wrong section!
The problem is that many only have the beer opener version of the tool (no kidding, the one supplied with the hub was a cheap flat metal thing with 2 spoke keys, the cassette tool and a bottle opener). These tend to damage the serrated part of the lock ring. Fortunately my LBS has a good one. Unfortunately for you it is probably too far away (Rhein-Main area, Germany)...
Just an update, I received an email from the owner of http://www.bicycletool.com and he does have them in stock.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...