Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Corrosion
Hi, a sad story happened to my bike..

As I currently have little space inside my place of stay I left my bicycle in a locked but open shed for the winter. That was a really bad move as I found a lot of corrosion traces when I took it out a week ago. The corrosion hit the frame, the handlebar, rear cogs, some nuts and (especially heavily) spokes. The level of corrosion is different for different parts.

Which of these details are normally replaced in such cases and which can be dealt with by painting/ coating? Which tools would you recommend to use to prevent further corrosion on the parts that I decide to keep?
Well, I'd check for chain wear and maybe replace the chain + sprockets (unless you have done that recently it is likely you need to do that). The rest, well, there are some hints how to remove surface rust http://bikeride.com/rust-removal/ Most likely it is just that: surface rust. Not bad but looks ugly.
The breaking down or destruction of a material, especially a metal, through chemical reactions. The most common form of corrosion is rusting, which occurs when iron combines with oxygen and water.
For non-painted parts...get some WD40 and some aluminum foil. Wad the foil into a loose ball. Spray the WD40 on the part and rub with the foil.
What you've essentially done is make aluminum steel wool. It will clean the rust and wont scratch the chrome/finish.

For painted surfaces...clean with Simple Green or 409. You "might" need too use a cleaning car polish or light buffing compound. Finish with a good car wax. Some people use Pledge (yes, the furniture polish).

For chrome or polished aluminum (not anodized) ...Simichrome or other chrome polish. Get busy rubbing Smile
Craig Domingue - East Texas Hick

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

03-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Last Post: wahsabi