Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

First post: Hello!
Hi everyone. I am returning to cycling after nearly a 20-year lay off. In the '80s, I was an ultra-marathon cyclist, riding over 15,000 miles a year. I was breathing bikes back then. In 1985, I competed in the 700-mile qualifier for Race Across AMerica. From 1984-1987, I organized, directed, and competed in my own event, The Race Across Wisconsin: 220-miles in 18 hours. I managed a bike shop. In 1988, I did a solo tour across the United States. And then I burned out. Too much bike, not enough social life.

Now, 30 years later, I'm married and have done other things including speed skating and cross-country skiing. But a couple years ago, I began to get the bike itch, and have begun to do centuries. I haven't done a double-century in over 20 years, but I'm considering an attempt this year or next if my training goes all right. I'm even getting ready to work at a bike shop again. When I walked away from cycling 20 years ago, I knew I would return someday, but I didn't know when.

I now ride a Trek 7.3 FX fitness bike that I've tricked out with my old Selle Italia Turbo-matic saddle and some carbon-fiber bar-ends. Faster tires too. The old mid-section (mine, not the bike's) needing a bit of "tricking out", but that will come in time. I see an interesting "ride" ahead. It's good to be back in the saddle! Smile
Welcome back to riding as you know you love it. I'm getting ready to go on a tour myself this spring.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Welcome back and sounds like you have quite a racing resume! Just out of curiosity how does it feel to go back to something you left 20yrs ago?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks, guys!
Surly LHT: Tell me about your tour! Where are you planning to start/finish? What kind of places are you hoping to see?

Bill: Although I loved ultra-marathon cycling, I can't claim any successful wins! LOL It just gets in your blood. In answer to your question:

At 52, I'm a bit more mature (at least I hope!) than I was 20 years ago. I'm also married now (only 2 years ago!), so I have to consider how the training time needed for a double-century will affect the time I spend with my wife. She is completely supportive of my desire to do this though. I've been blessed in that way.

I'm also in the middle of making a career change. I'm hoping to leave the hardware store I've been employed at for the past 10 years, and get a job at a local bike shop. In a few weeks, I'll be working at their annual Bike Expo Sale: http://wheelandsprocket.com/articles/expo-home-pg993.htm

If things go right, I hope to be taken on as a permanent employee.

Oh yes, how does it feel? Like I'm back home. Smile
(03-05-2010, 10:20 PM)marathon marke Wrote:  Thanks, guys!
Surly LHT: Tell me about your tour! Where are you planning to start/finish? What kind of places are you hoping to see?

Bill: Although I loved ultra-marathon cycling, I can't claim any successful wins! LOL It just gets in your blood. In answer to your question:

At 52, I'm a bit more mature (at least I hope!) than I was 20 years ago. I'm also married now (only 2 years ago!), so I have to consider how the training time needed for a double-century will affect the time I spend with my wife. She is completely supportive of my desire to do this though. I've been blessed in that way.

I'm also in the middle of making a career change. I'm hoping to leave the hardware store I've been employed at for the past 10 years, and get a job at a local bike shop. In a few weeks, I'll be working at their annual Bike Expo Sale: http://wheelandsprocket.com/articles/expo-home-pg993.htm

If things go right, I hope to be taken on as a permanent employee.

Oh yes, how does it feel? Like I'm back home. Smile

Well that's awesome. You could always invite the wife to go along with you. I'm sure you already know that though. Glad to hear that you got back into a healthy "habit" (it is what I call it sometimes lol). Make sure ya do some research before changing your main job. Of course again I think you already know that too lol.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your story,
Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Last Post: nfmisso