Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Campy Compatibility
I have an older Athena group (circa 1995/96, hard to remember it has been so long) on my Cannondale R600 frame. It has been a great combination and served me well for over a decade. However, at the end of a ride last weekend, the left brake/shifter lever (plastic combination lever / thumb shifter) for the outboard action (pushing the lever to the right for the larger chain ring) gave way from its attachment point. It is bent inward and the shift mechanism doesn't work unless I try to jam my finger as high up the lever as possible and nearly have my finger in the mechanism. Will it be possible to find spare parts? If so where? If I am unable to find spare parts for the shifter can I purchase a newer set of shifters (Veloce 9 or Centaur 10) that will be compatible with my current 8 speed cog set?

You may be able to track down parts for your shifter or a used replacement lever on eBay. You generally can't mix 8 speed campy stuff with 9 or 10 speed. cassettes are not interchangeable, shifters can't be mixed, etc. To go to 9 or 10 you might need new rear wheel, new cassette, new shifter, (maybe new derailleur?). good luck
more info:<br />
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

Thanks for the confirmation, I vaguely remember hearing this and now I know for sure that I have limited options. Any recommendations on online locations that sell older Campy parts? And is it fair to assume that if I find the shifter part I should probably also replace the original cable and housing.

Try to find an old bike shop that has been in business for some decades. They sometimes still have spares, though the prices can be a bit "off"... sometimes however, they give that stuff away almost for free. My local shop for example still had a French bottom bracket and a nice old Shimano 600 crank set for my old Peugeot, they were reasonably priced. Cable and housing should probably have been replaced a while ago.
Upgrading the group is expensive and can be troublesome (e.g. frame spacing). However: sentimental attachment to your trusty old steed might cause you to that. This is a decision you will have to make with your heart and your wallet (though they will probably give contradicting suggestions).

Have you tried "Googling" Campagnolo spares.?<br />
This brings up various companies purporting to offering spares.
Two in the U.K. that may be helpful=
Parker:-<br />
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/
Mercian:-<br />
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/index.asp

Ride hard or ride home alone!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post