Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Blue Grease Answer
Hello all,
Someone asked somewhere if there was a blue colored grease? Well it dawned on me as I was working on my Next. Lol Park Tool's grease is in fact blue. I was like duuuuuhhhhh for me. But anyways there ya go the blue grease answer.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
But is it better than Marine grease. I just had to ask. lol
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
That's possible, although I will admit that don't know what marine grease is like.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Never even heard of Marine Grease, but I use the Park Tool stuff and it seems to work pretty well and is certainly Wales-resistant (realistically about as good as grease is going to get given the foul weather we ride bikes in during the winter).

Would recommend that if you ride in bad weather pretty often.
Also mobil 1 xhp 222 is blue and the 332 is black/grey
marine grease is a military spec grease that was developed by dupont for the armed services. originally, only the mechanics in the motorpool had access to it.Smile sorry, i couldn't help myself. seriously, think boats.i wonder why its not called navy grease?
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
(10-27-2010, 10:17 PM)X-RAY Wrote:  marine grease is a military spec grease that was developed by dupont for the armed services. originally, only the mechanics in the motorpool had access to it.Smile sorry, i couldn't help myself. seriously, think boats.i wonder why its not called navy grease?

lol good question Big Grin
Hello all, though I am not a bicycle maintenance guy, I am an industrial maintenance person.

Thought I would give an answer on the "Blue Grease" question. Blue Grease is a product that was developed by Premier Industrial, and is available in the US from Lawson Products (lawsonproducts.com), and in Europe through Kent (kenteurope.com). Typical grease has a 3% water wash out at 175 degrees F and is lithium based, Blue Grease is a High Temp calcium base product with a .3% water wash out at 175 degrees F.

Some usual uses are deep sea fisherman use it in their reels, I sold it to Toyota for the robotic weld cooling systems.

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=66630&catpath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch1%3DBLUE+GREASE
Quote:Blue Grease is a product that was developed by Premier Industrial, and is available in the US from Lawson Products (lawsonproducts.com), and in Europe through Kent (kenteurope.com). Typical grease has a 3% water wash out at 175 degrees F and is lithium based, Blue Grease is a High Temp calcium base product with a .3% water wash out at 175 degrees F.

And there you go... I had no idea!
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Thank you for the information! Definitely sheds some light on a few questions!
No problem, one other note, it is not wise to just try a different grease. The issue is the mixing of the dissimilar base material from different greases. A chemical reaction can occur were the two bases will then cake and offer no lubrication at all. If you try a new grease make sure to purge your previous material before lubricating with the new grease.
Wow that a really good need to know tip! This is something I am only asking, but that is not a marketing saying is it? Do you mean that like if you only have a little of one type of grease (teflon based), you go and buy a different one (one you named above) and mix them that will result?
Teflon is not a base it is an additive to provide additional lubrication as the material drys out on open chains or sprockets. Some base materials for grease will be aluminum, lithium or in the case of blue grease calcium sulfate. If you blend two separate bases such as lithium with the calcium it can cause caking, it just good maintenance practice to not mix greases.
Excellent info, mjb! Welcome aboard!
Guys - mjb knows his stuff. Listen!
mjb - I have often tried to describe metal pourosity and molecular adhesion, etc to no avail. You know, Teflon coats vs Ceramic Particle impregnation and the like. I have a minor in Metallurgy from my college days, I think you may be able to explain it better than me. Please?

Bill - my Park Poly-Lube is green. Maybe it's really old and I should stop eating it with my fried burritos? Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Ahahaha yes by now it is probably guacamole !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post: SPANNER

06-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Last Post: nfmisso