Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Trouble with speedometer installation
I ride a CCM Evox 140 and I picked up one of those speedo computers. Trouble is, the wires are no where near long enough to reach either the front or rear wheel!! Has anyone had any success soldering on extensions to the wires? The wires look to be really fine wire which may not solder too well tho...
Maybe this will help you out.... http://www.ehow.com/video_4415601_install-bicycle-computer.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(03-18-2010, 07:45 AM)Bill Wrote:  Maybe this will help you out.... http://www.ehow.com/video_4415601_install-bicycle-computer.html

Thanks, for the reply Bill, but the distance from the fork to the handlebar on my bike is a lot longer than the length of wire that is supplied on the computer. Therein lies the dilemma...
I am surprised that the cable isn't long enough as all mine have over 2 feet of wire.
If this is a standard cycle speedo then the wires can easily be extended.

You should have:-
Computer
Handle bar clip attached via the cable to pickup sensor.
Magnet.

If you fit the computer to the clip and run the magnet back and forth past the sensor then you should see some movement on the readout.
To extend the wires it will mean cutting the existing cable at some convenient point and inserting a new section of cable to lengthen it. The wiring cable is a 2 core cable and this will mean 4 joints in total.
You can extend the cable to either reach the front or back wheel.
The wiring is not polarity conscious so it doesn't matter which way round the wires are connected.
When completed make sure the new joints don't short out between wires. Either fit some heat-shrink or insulating tape to the new joints.
The wire carries very little current so use something of similar thickness to the existing one.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Yikes, guess I didn't read your post close enough to which sorry, great advice cycler Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(03-18-2010, 03:29 PM)Bill Wrote:  Yikes, guess I didn't read your post close enough to which sorry, great advice cycler Smile

Sad Lost the sensor part...have only the magnet and the computer part now...grrr
Ughhh thats a real problem. Shop on Amazon and Ebay for another complete unit they are pretty cheap. Dept. stores carry them as well.
Hi I have soldered lead extensions on to my Vetta computer on my Bike E recumbent. Small wires but doable Dan