Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

'53 (1953) Royal Master 3 speed
Here is another project that I will be fixing up. It has a Sturmey Archer 3spd hub. I took quite a few pictures of it for before/after purposes and also for future references we can use for various older parts. Anyways here they are.
More pics have a couple after this
Last ones for this bike....
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
One more picture ... PROMISE... sorry...
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Are you sure that's a 1953? I thought pre-1955(?) used the old balloon tires. (I saw the "53" on the 3-speed)

It's old fer sure. That project is going make you into a Bicycle Repairman! Smile You better go back and try the distorted wheel project instead - easier to accomplish. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I did find that the Royal Master was a Raleigh competitive. Do note the picture with the 3speed hub that has the number 53 on it. According to Sheldon Brown the hub was made in 1953. This is an English Bike so they may not have used the Balloon Tires. Would like confirmation on that because it is very interesting, thanks for noting that Steve.
Good luck with that project . . . the rust looks bad. Please post "after" photos. I'm definitely interested in how it turns out. Smile

Steve
1953 might be right Bill. Here is the video where it tells when balloon tires were produced in general terms (pre-1953). http://www.ehow.com/video_4946618_vintage-balloon-tire-bicycles-production.html

Your bike could be worth some money when you get it done. Smile Yours would be considered one of the first of the next generation called middle-weight bikes.

Steve
(03-21-2010, 11:42 AM)KC-Steve Wrote:  1953 might be right Bill. Here is the video where it tells when balloon tires were produced in general terms (pre-1953). http://www.ehow.com/video_4946618_vintage-balloon-tire-bicycles-production.html

Your bike could be worth some money when you get it done. Smile Yours would be considered one of the first of the next generation called middle-weight bikes.

Steve

That's sweet to know. Thanks for the help I really do appreciate it.
I wouldn't really rely on what you see in videos on ehow. It's definitely a 53. The AW hub with the Hercumatic shifter is a good combo. I have a 58 version of the same bike that I just tree-lawn picked. Mine's got the SW hub that's not as tough, but it should be a good challenge. Hit me up if you need tips on the AW. I've done several rebuilds, and I have some documentation I could scan and send over if you need it.
Thanks I will definitely let you know. She is gonna a fun project. Just wanted to let you know that on the cottered crank this guy at this website has an awesome puller/setter plus the cotters too I have one and it is VERY TOUGH! Here is his website ....
http://bikesmithdesign.com/
He has everything in stock and does answer email!

Again thanks for the help,
Bill
Nice find Bill good luck to you.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Thanks surly.
That November 1953 3 speed Sturmey AW hub is likely NOT the original hub fitted to your bike. The handlebar shifter is a rare (and beautiful!) one from Hercules of Birmingham, England, who made a good clone of the AW once it was out of patent. it is possible the bike originally had a Hercules Model B three speed rear hub when made. I have a 1950's Model B hub at home if you want a photograph.
(02-11-2012, 03:51 PM)AW_hub Wrote:  That November 1953 3 speed Sturmey AW hub is likely NOT the original hub fitted to your bike. The handlebar shifter is a rare (and beautiful!) one from Hercules of Birmingham, England, who made a good clone of the AW once it was out of patent. it is possible the bike originally had a Hercules Model B three speed rear hub when made. I have a 1950's Model B hub at home if you want a photograph.

Hi AW,
YES definitely post it here Smile Thanks for the information and hope all is good with ya!
Here you go Bill.
cheers,
AW_hub
(02-11-2012, 08:49 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(02-11-2012, 03:51 PM)AW_hub Wrote:  That November 1953 3 speed Sturmey AW hub is likely NOT the original hub fitted to your bike. The handlebar shifter is a rare (and beautiful!) one from Hercules of Birmingham, England, who made a good clone of the AW once it was out of patent. it is possible the bike originally had a Hercules Model B three speed rear hub when made. I have a 1950's Model B hub at home if you want a photograph.

Hi AW,
YES definitely post it here Smile Thanks for the information and hope all is good with ya!

Buffalo Bill rides again. This one looks like a real challenge but I know you can make it look like new when done.
(03-21-2010, 09:58 AM)Bill Wrote:  Here is another project that I will be fixing up. It has a Sturmey Archer 3spd hub. I took quite a few pictures of it for before/after purposes and also for future references we can use for various older parts. Anyways here they are.
More pics have a couple after this
Last ones for this bike....

Bill..
Looks like this was lying on seashore for long time... Still a worthy project. All the best. :-)
Cyclostyle in style
hcjg1: Hehe nice saying Smile . It may soon ride again.

atulkunte69: I still have it Wink . I really don't know its history except the fact an older guy got it from another guy at one of farmer type markets that find old stuff in abandoned garages, houses, etc. here in New York. Let's just say I got it with a few other bikes in a "lot sale" lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Last Post: atulkunte69