Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Executive Sports 2000 3 speed
Ok now I am not totally sure if that is the proper name of this Restoration Project but I am open for suggestions. Anyways here is a Executive Sports 2000 3 speed made in Germany. Warning LOADS pics here Big Grin
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
ooo! seems like a nice bike Big Grin
Yeah that is a really nice classic ride. Excellent project bike!
Part 2
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thank you. I rode it a little jot and WOW I know how much I miss the 3 speed. Shes gonna be a definite job!
Very nice bike Bill take your time and do your best to redo it to like new witch I know you will. What color you going back with? You must be like a lot of us here to much time to kill or is it just me with time to kill lol. Wife told me I had way to many to work on now. If she only knew what was going on in my mind now lol. One thing for sure is a need a lot more money than I have at this time. But don't we all need more money lol. Be sure and take pic as you take it apart and post as it goes back together. post more pics,pics,pics,pics lol
Do we all have Bicycle Fever??? Think I do!!!
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Made in W. Germany - that's a long way from home. Smile

Looks nice, but you're going to have your work gut out with those chrome parts Bill.
How did the shifting feel on it, still working ok?
Yes felt VERY smooth so that is one thing I will not have to worry about. The chrome parts will be a tedious job. If they are way too pitted like the brake calipers or the rat trap rack then I will have to replace them. Hmmm glad you all mentioned a few things as it is not gonna be easy if at all to save the stickers. I will let ya know more after I check it out later.
Whoa, I missed this one. Nice project bike! The fact it says "West Germany" makes me think that it could be a collector bike in the future.

What happened with your eBay Schwinn Traveler you bought back in May? Just curious.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I found a little information yesterday that suggests the bike was manufactured by a company called "Rixe", and may have been sold under a few different brand names.

http://oldroads.com/arch/ENG2003_9_242_45_06_AM.html <- search for "Sport 2000" on this page

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-152756.html

As for the crank arms and other pitted chrome parts, has anyone tried spray-can "cold galvanizing" paint? I saw that at an auto-pars store this weekend, and was thinking of trying it specifically on some old cranks and pedals.
(07-07-2010, 01:33 PM)Billy Wrote:  . . . As for the crank arms and other pitted chrome parts, has anyone tried spray-can "cold galvanizing" paint? I saw that at an auto-pars store this weekend, and was thinking of trying it specifically on some old cranks and pedals.

Nope not I. But I posted two-hour test results from using Evapo-Rust here . . .
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1375.html

It might not work very well with hard-core rust though. Some people have said to keep soaking it in Evapo-Rust until it is clean even if it takes days.

Another method is using POR-15. It is a rust "converter." It converts rust to something else that is less harmful to steel. It's usually used so that the converted rust can be successfully painted.

http://www.por15.com/

I have also tried electrolysis, but that is better left alone because you are converting water into hydrogen and highly flammable. It must be done outdoors. Not to mention it takes days to see any success with rust.

Steve
(07-07-2010, 07:23 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Nope not I. But I posted two-hour test results from using Evapo-Rust here . . .
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1375.html
Another method is using POR-15. It is a rust "converter." It converts rust to something else that is less harmful to steel. It's usually used so that the converted rust can be successfully painted.

Yeah, that Evapo-Rust looked like pretty good stuff. I'd like to keep some of that on hand, if I can find it. I've been using rust converters for a long time, mainly good old naval jelly; it's slow, smelly and corrosive, but works well to clean up small patches. The POR15 looks like a good way to save old fenders.
I might make that approach to this old war dog. The evapo rust sounds like a great idea. Not too sure on the frame and other stuff. As far as the Schwinn Traveler I will make a post about it soon. Can say this, it is in such good shape I really do not think much needs done other then the usual mechanical overhaul. It is same color as your Schwinn Steve, few minor paint nicks. Other then that clean up the frame a tad with a good wash and oat it up with wax.
(07-07-2010, 11:05 PM)Bill Wrote:  I might make that approach to this old war dog. The evapo rust sounds like a great idea. Not too sure on the frame and other stuff. As far as the Schwinn Traveler I will make a post about it soon. Can say this, it is in such good shape I really do not think much needs done other then the usual mechanical overhaul. It is same color as your Schwinn Steve, few minor paint nicks. Other then that clean up the frame a tad with a good wash and oat it up with wax.

Kewl. Be sure to use a seal-able bag or anything that keeps the Evapo-rust from EVAPORATING if you need to go more than a few hours otherwise it will be gone before it has time to work. It is like water almost.

Steve
I literally just found this bike in my garage today. It's a ladies version in blue. Beautiful bike. I was telling my brother today that I never knew there was such a thing as a "fast" bike. I always thought it was all in the rider, but I was wrong. This is a way fast bike. Takes no effort to get cooking down the road. I almost ate some pavement at full speed earlier today. That shifter alone makes the bike awesome. I'm glad to see there are still some of these bikes out there. Dont even fix it, it's beautiful the way it is. It's a piece of history now. Here is what mine looks like, it's not the best photo to see everything on the bike. But you know what is supposed to be like. Come to Michigan and we'll race.
Sorry I missed your post. Mine is definitely a piece of history and I will try to keep it as original as possible, but understand that if I don't remove the rust from it soon it will be deemed a piece of scrap! I really have not tested mine for speed but yes it has a nice gear ratio for a 3 spd. Thanks for the compliments.
(03-20-2010, 07:56 PM)Bill Wrote:  Thank you. I rode it a little jot and WOW I know how much I miss the 3 speed. Shes gonna be a definite job!

Hi Bill

After long time. Bill, What kind of that 3 speed is? I got similar one too that is totally unused, that is lying in my stores but I don't have the attachment for shifter assembly to the cable. Any links for this type of 3 speed on web...please forward. Were these 3 speeds famous? haven't seen any of them around?What make they are? I just identified
Looking forward to see furnished this masterpiece.
Cyclostyle in style
The 3 speed hub is a Japanese Shimano 333 (1957 design). Don't want to rain on the parade, but this is a pretty fragile import from the 70's, that gave lots of trouble once US college students started pedaling hard to school.
Quite difficult to repair, if the undersized pawls break. Ride gently and all is good...
Wow I did not know that AW! Sorry I missed your post Aw and atulkunte69. To answer your question I do believe any 3speed shifter will work as long as everything else is there on the hub. Will tell you that the handle bar chrome on these really do not shine up well. I still have this bike and waiting for weather to break so I can strip the paint and re-paint it. I will probably do something custom with the handle bars due to the cheap fading chrome job on them. I will post an up date as soon as I get her completed.

Possibly Related Threads...