Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Brittany Free Spirit 12 speed
Ok this one even though it is a girls bike I like. But anyways here are a few pictures, sorry the resolution sucks also the background remember is my basement lol.
Last pictures of FR12spd
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I see a good old time Sears bike I think I am right on this. That bike needs to be redone and someone to ride her again. Great looking bike Bill where do you get all these bike at do you hold a gun to these people heads lol. I know you don't but man you are so lucky to find or get these bikes way to go Bill. Now get down to your work shop and start working on these kool bikes.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Yeah that is an older Sears Roebuck bike. I haven't seen any of these style (touring) on the net, as of yet, in twelve speed. Where do I find them? Simple Look on your local craiglist ebay and there are a few other options like yard/garage sales, and merely looking around while riding. Big Grin . As far as getting busy on them I am waiting for my cotter pin press first. Those are found here and yes he has quite a few left. http://bikesmithdesign.com/
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ok here it is done. I had to replace the Front and Rear Deraillers as well as the chain. This is the Bike which had the Falcon Freewheel as discussed in this thread.. http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1674.html .
Wow! I'm impressed! That is a nice looking bike Bill. You did a great job and it should sell quickly. Around here you can easily find Free Spirit bikes for sale at Thrift stores for around $30, but they aren't near as nice as yours is. Smile

Yeah, I would put yours up for sale on Craigslist for a minimum of $100, unless you plan to keep it for the wife or daughter.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I used to see that same make/model of bike locked up at a restaurant on my way home every day, and every day, I sort of hoped it was abandoned so I could take it home.
Thank you Steve, took sometime on it and really did not want to repaint it because that part was still in great shape. I used some car wax, like 4 coats, to get it looking shiny. The freewheel was the biggest pain to remove. $100.00 you say? Sounds like a good starting price.

ಠ_ಠ Yeah too bad ya couldn't take that one home. I will say they are a nice touring bike.
howdy,
i just bought this exact bike from someone off craigslist and i'm super excited!
do you know what year this one is? some of the free spirits were made in austria, japan, china... im curious about my bike's history...wondered if you knew.
I think they sold these at older Sears Roebuck Dept store in the 80's? Here is a little information I dug up for you, not much http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-277192.html .

From personal experience I did ride this one around for about 2miles and was actually pleasurable tourer bike. If there is any information I can get you like parts and such just asked. WARNING lol : http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1674.html that was the biggest problem I had with it. The cranks are cottered too. Which is another story. Anyways please do asked if you plan on rebuilding or maintaining it.
thanks for the info and offer to help with maintenance quests...
at the moment all it needed was a new rear brake cable and i still need to add a derailer cable. I don't know much about fixing bikes and i know this isn't the highest quality bike.. but i love it anyway... my next goal is to change the handlebar stem so that the handles are a little more upright...
i have to say this is the first 12 speed free spirit i've seen.. most of the others are 3 speed. i'm excited to have the extra gears.. (though I currently only use one!)
thanks again.
(08-21-2010, 01:05 AM)Bill Wrote:  I think they sold these at older Sears Roebuck Dept store in the 80's? Here is a little information I dug up for you, not much http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-277192.html .

From personal experience I did ride this one around for about 2miles and was actually pleasurable tourer bike. If there is any information I can get you like parts and such just asked. WARNING lol : http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1674.html that was the biggest problem I had with it. The cranks are cottered too. Which is another story. Anyways please do asked if you plan on rebuilding or maintaining it.

I just bought one of these at Good Will. it seems to be in great shape! It's missing a few parts though...can you help?
Thanks!
Dean
(12-02-2010, 01:15 AM)Deaners Wrote:  
(08-21-2010, 01:05 AM)Bill Wrote:  I think they sold these at older Sears Roebuck Dept store in the 80's? Here is a little information I dug up for you, not much http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-277192.html .

I just bought one of these at Good Will. it seems to be in great shape! It's missing a few parts though...can you help?
Thanks!
Dean

Yes sure what do you need to know I still have this bike. Almost sold it but I guess the person did not like it because it was "too old" lol.
(12-02-2010, 05:48 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(12-02-2010, 01:15 AM)Deaners Wrote:  

Thanks!
Dean
Yes sure what do you need to know I still have this bike. Almost sold it but I guess the person did not like it because it was "too old" lol.

Well, I went down to the local bike shop and found some replacement handles for the brakes. I would liked to have kept it vintage, but I couldn't wait. I paid $100 for the parts, including new tires and gear shift) and $50 for the bike. i'm sure I paid too much but my wife loves it I suppose its worth it.

Thanks!
Dean
Looks like a lot of TLC and elbow grease there, Bill. Great job!
I had an elderly gentleman drop off a matching pair of Mens & Ladies Free Spirits in Hunter Green at the shop last weekend. I don't recall the model but they were from 1985 and the rear rack was almost identical to yours. They need tires in a bad way but pretty clean, otherwise.
You've inspired me to get busy!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
@ Deaners: They are very comfortable bikes for touring, as I said previously it is a girl's bike. As far as the price for parts sounds about right. The Rear Derailler was again changed from the one in the final pictures to an exact alike in the first pictures, had to order from British Columbia, Canada from a ebay seller which also had their own Local Bicycle Shop up there. The only other problem I remember having was overhauling the rear wheel lol (listed link above). I am sure your wife will enjoy many miles to come. Out of curiosity how many gears does it have?

@Robar: Thank you very much Smile . NICE Smile, a pair? The maintenance on them really is not all that bad just if you have to do the cottered crank you will want one of these ... http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/ . If you can find Park Tool's cotter press you will see that the one I listed the link to is made 20 x's better (man that was really hard to say!)! Don't stop there check out his whole website. I try to document everything I do to Bicycle on here but sometimes I get very busy and seem to forget. So sorry everything is not on here like I first intended.

Again thank you both for the compliments.
hey Bill. I've been down with a computer virus and had to borrow the wifes 'puter tonight. Will send pics soon.
They are a matched set of FS Greenbriars and not a hint of rust anywhere except on the steel front hub where the galvanized spoke-heads meet the hub flange. I got new gumwall tires in this week to replace the crusty ones!
Yes Sir! restoring these is sure a pleasure, especially when we run across them in the condition that I did. I can't wait to show you some pics! You will probably think that I had them stashed in a Time Capsule. LOL Trust me, I don't have room for a capsule due to all the bikes.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(12-08-2010, 08:07 PM)RobAR Wrote:  hey Bill. I've been down with a computer virus and had to borrow the wifes 'puter tonight. Will send pics soon.
They are a matched set of FS Greenbriars and not a hint of rust anywhere except on the steel front hub where the galvanized spoke-heads meet the hub flange. I got new gumwall tires in this week to replace the crusty ones!
Yes Sir! restoring these is sure a pleasure, especially when we run across them in the condition that I did. I can't wait to show you some pics! You will probably think that I had them stashed in a Time Capsule. LOL Trust me, I don't have room for a capsule due to all the bikes.

Rob

You said it about the wheel set, because the one I have was the same except a little here and there. Also I wished whoever did the paint job made it standard for all bicycles. I was going to replace the tires on mine, but the ones that are on it are not weather cracked. As well they still had some very good tread on them. I did use some car wax on the frame and forks (one coat only) and let set for 3hrs. Then I took an old towel, but clean one, then wiped it off. The knocks I have to do some touch ups on still haven't found the same color paint yet. Other then that most of it was mechanical work. I'm very excited to see some pictures! Smile

P.S. Sorry to hear about the computer catching a cold , guess it is the season for sickness going around?? Lol, seriously private message me and I can give you some good links to very good anti-virus software.
Hello. I have the twin to this bike. Guys version.
(11-06-2013, 10:13 PM)micah68kjv Wrote:  Hello. I have the twin to this bike. Guys version.

(I uploaded a pic but it's not here??)
I know this is an old thread but I'd sure like to show my bike off. Not bragging show off. Just some of your thoughts on it. I have never actually disassembled a bike and I'm not quite sure that I need to. But how do I loadpics? Says I have "unlimited" file space. Followed the instructions atthe bottom... choose file, did that. Upload, did that. Saw it loading..... No picture! ?
Joe
(11-06-2013, 10:13 PM)micah68kjv Wrote:  (I uploaded a pic but it's not here??)
To post a pic use a site like photobucket. With photobucket you'll see a "Links to share this photo" list to the right of your pic. Click on the IMG area & paste in your post here. Done.
(11-07-2013, 03:13 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(11-06-2013, 10:13 PM)micah68kjv Wrote:  (I uploaded a pic but it's not here??)
To post a pic use a site like photobucket. With photobucket you'll see a "Links to share this photo" list to the right of your pic. Click on the IMG area & paste in your post here. Done.

Thanks.
I'll try that
Joe

Possibly Related Threads...