Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Not sure if my cartridge bottom bracket needs replacing...
I can feel a grinding sensation when I pedal (particularly when it's raining) and having looked at lots of the really helpful posts on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that my bottom bracket (cartridge type) probably needs replacing. However I'm just wondering if there's any way for me to confirm that that's where the grinding is coming from? It's just that I've recently spent quite a bit of money replacing the rear wheel and tyre, cassette, chain, a chainring, brake blocks, cables and housings... so if there's a way of being able to check that the bottom bracket is definitely worn before replacing it then I'd be much happier to fork out a little extra and get a decent one.

Oh, the other thing is that the bike is only about 18 months old - I know, I know, I should have spent more on the bike in the first place and got one with better components, I've learnt that the hard way!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to the forums Louise!

You could try listening to the bearings while spinning the bottom bracket with the chain off. Place your ear on your saddle horn as shown in this video: http://bikeride.com/check-bearing-wear/
check your pedals before you replace the BB
I agree with DaveM on this. Check your pedals, they could have grit and grime in them and as you pedal you feel and hear that grittyness. Its unusual that your BB would need replacing after 18 months. Not unheard, just odd and rare. Although I do not know your riding conditions or mileage.

On a similar note, I have a Race Face sealed cartridge BB and its been going strong for over 9 years now on my racing/(now semi-BURLEY puller) mountain bike. Besides keeping it clean, I've never serviced it, but its smooth as butter still. Do I need to service it? If so, how difficult is it to get inside and re-grease? I have all the tools needed, just need some input. Thanks all.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94
This will get you started in the right direction hopefully.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Just reporting back - I replaced the pedals (they were made of plastic and one of them had cracked) and the grinding has gone! So it was indeed the pedals rather than the bottom bracket. Many thanks for the help!

LOVE the site, by the way!!!

L. x
Phew glad to hear is was something simple instead of a major job!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Outstanding Louise! Glad to hear it.
My Ibis Mojo HD started creaking when putting load on the pedals, as I rode it was getting worse. I had replaced the BB a year ago, so I ruled that out. Pulled the pedals and wheels off, hit all the joints with some Tri Flow and brushed out any dried dirt/mud, greased maxles and no more creaking!
(05-07-2014, 04:04 PM)GtNar Wrote:  My Ibis Mojo HD started creaking when putting load on the pedals, as I rode it was getting worse. I had replaced the BB a year ago, so I ruled that out. Pulled the pedals and wheels off, hit all the joints with some Tri Flow and brushed out any dried dirt/mud, greased maxles and no more creaking!
That is all fine but next time, only do one thing at a time then test to actually pinpoint the exact cause of the creak. instead of having to do 5 things at once and fix the creak but still not know.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...