Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

1984 Schwinn Super LeTour
Hey all, there are still bargains to be found out there! I found this 1984 Schwinn Super LeTour on Craigslist for $50 yesterday, marked down from $100.

You could call it the Rodney Dangerfield bike, "I don't get no respect." It is on the upper scale of Schwinn offerings back in the 1980's. It originally sold for $290 which is the same as around $1000 in today's dollars. It is very light weight compared to others, weighing in at 26 pounds. That's 7 or 8 lbs lighter than the Varsity of the period. Tires are original Schwinn and will need to be replaced, 27" x 1-1/8". The rims are aluminum alloy Ukai. Dia-Compe brakes. Quick-release axles. Frame is 21" with 31" standover height, 4130 Chrome-moly tubing, double butted. The freewheel is Maillard Atom 77 6-speed, 14-16-19-22-26-30, and crankset is Sugino DBT, 170mm, 40/52T forged alloy. Derailers are Suntour ARX with downtube shifters. Stem and handlebar is SR Custom alloy.

The weather isn't cooperating to show-off it's bright "Scarlet" color. The previous owner used a power washer on it and ruined the decals so I'll be checking eBay for replacements.

I also don't like the Maillard pedals with cages so I'll replace those soon as well.

Surprisingly, there isn't a lot to fix on this bike. I don't think it has been used much. I think I ride it a while. Big Grin

Thanks for looking,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Nice Bike KC-STEVE
Thanks Tino!
Nice bike but if he use a power washer on it then I would take off the BB and clean it out then re grease it. I did a power wash one time and will no longer do it again it will take out all of the grease some how or it did mine. Just go over your new bike and do a little TLC on it before you ride it much. I like the color of it too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Thanks Surly! Yeah you are right about the bottom bracket. I think he also used 3-in-1 oil on the chain too so I plan to go through it carefully and get it back in shape.

Steve
Nice bike and for the money you spent an obsolute bargain
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
Thanks Surreypete! I installed a new Bontrager saddle I had laying around and put a couple of temporary pedals on until I get new ones. I took a ride around the block to check the shifters and they are smooth. I can't complain about anything mechanical yet. Big Grin

Steve
Very nice bike Steve. Awesome price too! Pristine shape for a '84.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Looks exactly like my Dads Le Tour. Rode it last summer and I can tell you those shifters on the down tube are sketchy.

Not trying to thread jack you, just thought I would post pictures of his.

[Image: DOt37.jpg]
[Image: OL8Q4.jpg]
Awesome bikes! I am a little bit envious... well, a bit more than "little". All those fixie hipsters have spoiled the prices for classic bikes here, just to grind off the hanger and cable stops, makes me sad. Still: great find, enjoy riding! Those older road bikes ride very smooth in my opinion, very relaxed, very enjoyable.
(03-29-2010, 10:30 PM)Bill Wrote:  Very nice bike Steve. Awesome price too! Pristine shape for a '84.

Thanks Bill. Smile
(03-30-2010, 01:47 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Awesome bikes! I am a little bit envious... well, a bit more than "little". All those fixie hipsters have spoiled the prices for classic bikes here, just to grind off the hanger and cable stops, makes me sad. Still: great find, enjoy riding! Those older road bikes ride very smooth in my opinion, very relaxed, very enjoyable.

Thanks Joe! Yes, the "fixie hipsters" have ruined many classic road bikes around here as well. University of Kansas is only about 30 miles west of Kansas City and students are the biggest consumers of those.

I have been lucky to get four good bikes at $50 or less, but I think the secret is to keep watching Craigslist and move fast when a bargain pops up. Smile I picked up at least 2 bikes within 2 hours after they were posted on CL so most people never knew they were available because the posters deleted them right away. One was an excellent 1978 Raleigh that a student was going to turn into a fixie but had to wait until he was off work to claim it. So that was one I am sure I saved from the fixie fad. Big Grin

Steve
(03-29-2010, 11:08 PM)post_break Wrote:  Looks exactly like my Dads Le Tour. . .

Without seeing the serial number I would guess your bike in the photos is around 1981 or 1982. The decals are an older style, and the forks have chrome that was used on the older bikes. That's a great looking bike "post_break" and welcome to the forum. Smile

Steve
Yes definitely is the same color Steve, as soon as I am done with my shop expansion I will take time and get a few photos of my Traveler. Mine came with the "toe clips"? Not sure if that is what they are called but I already removed those because they do not fit my feet and the chrome was peeling off of them Sad. The awesome feature I absolutely fell in love with is the quick release lever on the brakes like yours has. Dia Compe or anyone else does not make those anymore which is sad, atleast I do not think they do.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
^^ Kewl. It sounds like your Traveler is very similar. I hate those pedals too and I think most people do. The Nike type shoes probably came afterward. But wonder why they are still on those old bikes. I look forward to seeing photos. I'm sure you are going to really enjoy your new bike.

BTW, you can probably find any parts you need at a flea market, LBS going out of business or LBS sale clearing out old parts, etc.

Steve
There you go again KC rubbing it in. I looked for a nice super or luxe le tour either Panasonic made Tange tubing one in late 70's or a early 80's made only with Colombus tubing or 4130. The very light ones weighing less than 26lbs. Lots of difference over the years.

Saw some nice ones around $150 but to big form me. So got my neighbors 85 Fuji del ray a 24.2 lb bike, and set it up. Love it.

Nice Super Le Tour bike! Thanks for link to Schwinn catalogs. Now I got 5 bikes got to sell two one day. Need the room and do not ride them.

http://classicfuji.com/1985_20_DelRey_Page.htm
Never Give Up!!!
Just adding a couple more photos for those wishing to see the similarities between Bill's Schwinn Traveler and this one. If you are looking for Super LeTour, LeTour or LeTour Lux then I think you can expand your search to include the Traveler as well.

Link to Bill's:
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1812.html
Nice bike and my size too. I see you got a new seat. I just ordered a TRX from Nashbar ( 1/2 price sale now) for my Fuji del Rey. On the Schwinn I got the Terry Liberator , awesome. Now I can walk tall after a ride. :-)))

Ye its your fault I went looking for a road bike. Could not find a Schwinn I wanted in my size , than my neighbor showed me his Fuji del rey, 24.2 lbs bike. Some Fujis like the Team were awesome 21 lbs. One of the better bikes from the 80's. I set it up like a vintage triathlon bike.

The cost is not in the bike its in the accessories, to set it up. IE: tools , pouch, seat, pedals, gel bar tape, cycleputer etc..But now I have it my way. Love it. The seat should be here tomorrow the current seat is a sexy brick. :-))

AS per the Traveller very nice, the early ones (1980) with 1020 pipes were 32 lbs, the 4130 tubes were 26.9 lbs exactly like my Schwinn aluminum MB.

If you are looking for a bike especially Schwinn check the years and specs out carefully. Lots of variation.

The Fuji loaded as in photo is 27lbs. Love to get one of the 21 lbs ones.
Never Give Up!!!
That is a NICE Fuji! I like the color and the accessories are great. Almost looks new. Nice find George. Welcome to the world of roadies.

Steve
I agree very nice condition George. I am trying to find a CankArm Bolt caps for my Schwinn can't seem to locate.
Ye overall the bike is Nice. It rides very well and is mechanically sound. It has a few chips and the decals are a bit damaged. But its a great rider. Be nice if the spokes were SS as they are rusted . same on my Schwinn MB. Be a winter project to clean them some and than paint , maybe black oil enamel, like Rustoleum (Silver just would look weird IMO) to protect them. Long range I may replace one a spoke at a time and respoke it SS.

Got the Nashbar TFX saddle yesterday. Put in ultra light Wellgo R110 pedals, to replace the Look clipless ones, gave them and the old seat back to my neighbor . Now for another test ride on the beach bike path . Someone got to do it. :-)))

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_174722_-1_201502_10000_200413

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WELLGO-LITE-R110-FIXIE-TRACK-PEDALS-4-CLIPS-STRAPS-/190419126259?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c55dd47f3#ht_558wt_906
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-03-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Jesper

07-23-2021, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Jesper

04-28-2021, 07:38 PM