Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Which type of cycling is more strenuous?
Mountain Bike (off-road)
40.00%
Road Cycling (Non Triathlon)
20.00%
Equal
40.00%
This poll has expired - it is no longer possible to vote.
5 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Very good question?
Hello all,
One of those questions that hit my mind while I took my daily ride today. Would riding with a heavier frame produce a better workout?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Dunno, riding with the same power makes no difference. To me, the kind I didn't do for a longer time seems more strenuous since the seat position differs quite a bit (I ride rather steep on my road bike).
I don't think the weight of the frame will be that heavy. The frame's can be a little different in weight but what I have found out that adds the weight is the cheaper parts like on the Wal Mart bicycle or any other place that sells the lower end bicycle. If you are just looking for a good work out then find a long steep hill and go up and down it a few times that will let you get a real work out lol. Or you can go up to the next high gear and go up the same hill. I never worry about the weight of my bicycle I just try to find my self a good gear to make it easy for me to get where I wanted to go. Just my 2 Cent's on this.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
I found loosing 14lbs of fat helped me climb hills easier.
So adding a few pounds will make the hills harder but on the flat weight doesn't make any difference when up to speed.
For a harder work out just go harder / faster.
Try pedaling as fast as you can for 1 minute then rest for 4. Then go again for 1 minute etc. (interval training). Or find some long steep hills and try a higher gear than you usually use.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
So if one had a tank of a bike per say like Yehuda and another had a bike like his partner Joe (not you Joe_W lol) it would be the same results?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
If you go at 150W for 2 hours on both bikes it is the same Wink

If you ask them to ride the same distance at the same speed: not the same, since Yehuda has to work harder (oh, and weight does make a difference on the flats, the rolling resistance is directly proportional to the normal force and thus to the mass of bike + rider, losing 2kg mass will make me go faster, well, at least a bit)
Ahh ok I understand that.
Ya I just find from doing both, mountain biking is a little more energy sapping due to the terrain really as conditions change more rapidly over off road terrain. There's a lot more rhythm to road cycling so its easier to control ur heart rate!