Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Opinions on good set of tires
I am looking at replacing my Kenda low pressure tires with some higher pressure models. The back is 24" and the front is 20", for my Evox 140...so its a fairly LWB type.

I downloaded Kenda's 2010 Catalog, but it seems they don't offer any touring type tires in my sizes, let alone high pressure models. Is there any other makes that is not terribly pricey to consider?
Hi Black_Blade,

Some might say that the Cheng Shin (Chinese) tires are worth a look but I personally wouldn't use them. When it comes to tires I believe it's a good idea to pay a little more for a reliable tire.

I think the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, or any tire with the Kevlar belt is important to have for a bicycle tire. Not just for puncture protection but also for personal safety. That's just my opinion. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I strongly dislike the Marathons (yeah, you probably know by now...), but just looked up the Marathon Plus and deleted a long rant. The tread pattern finally looks as if it makes sense. The marathons have a Kevlar guard, so that is a bonus. I run Schwalbe CX Pro on my crossified Peugeot road bike, they don't have a Kevlar belt and I have not yet had any punctures, so I am not sure how necessary Kevlar belts are. Also note that on rough surface lower pressure makes you go faster, so I'd run them with minimum pressure when commuting on unpaved roads.
(03-31-2010, 10:01 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I strongly dislike the Marathons . . . I run Schwalbe CX Pro on my crossified Peugeot road bike, they don't have a Kevlar belt and I have not yet had any punctures, so I am not sure how necessary Kevlar belts are. . .

Thanks Joe, I didn't know that.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(03-31-2010, 10:01 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I strongly dislike the Marathons (yeah, you probably know by now...), but just looked up the Marathon Plus and deleted a long rant. The tread pattern finally looks as if it makes sense. The marathons have a Kevlar guard, so that is a bonus. I run Schwalbe CX Pro on my crossified Peugeot road bike, they don't have a Kevlar belt and I have not yet had any punctures, so I am not sure how necessary Kevlar belts are. Also note that on rough surface lower pressure makes you go faster, so I'd run them with minimum pressure when commuting on unpaved roads.

I don't know if this will help you out but I had Kendra's tires on my Fuji and when they went I replaced them with Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase and couldn't be happier. They are a little heavy but the tire has great protection and I have been running them since June of 2009 with over 3,500 miles on them and they still look brand new.Smile

Remember it's mind over matter
if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more drive less
Well, there is a market for Kevlar belt equipped tyres, otherwise there wouldn't be any. My only puncture last year (total of >5000km) came from a 6mm long metal shard (probably car tyre?) but that was on my road bike. During a triathlon. I rode the last couple of km on the rims (alloy, so no problems). Tyres were Michelin Lithion.
My old road bike had Schwalbe Blizzard (lowest end road tyre by Schwalbe), they look awful after ~5000km, quite a number of cuts, especially in the rear. Only one puncture, though: glass shard, probably bottle, about 1mm x 2mm x 5mm. And those are equipped with a Kevlar belt!
Thanks guys, will check into these brands.
I've used "Panasonic TourGuards" for years. Unfortunately Panaracer forgot to name those (amateurs! ;-) and they are not listed at the official website. I've tried the Paselas instead - they are inferior! But if you can find the old ones with this thread http://www.cykelservice.dk/Graphics/Products/1031_m.jpg go for them!
Being unable to find the TourGuards in local shops or at reasonable prices online, I've tried Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700x28c). I'll definitely recommend anyone to _stay_away_ from those - or at least only buy them from a dealer and check them before leaving the shop! I've never had a tire that I was not able to fit by hand (without tire irons). But so far I've broken 4 tire irons moving my first, bad sample around on 3 rims. Seemingly the wires are to short - and the tire can't be seated properly. There's ALWAYS a dip somewhere. It can be moved around (with great effort) but it's always there. The second tire I tried (from the same order) was much better (the bump is only 2-3mm) but still not acceptable in my opinion!
I see positive reviews around - so perhaps I received a bad batch. But if Schwalbe's quality assurance is not working in their Indonesian factory there'll be more "bad lemons" out there!
Life is to short to spend this much time fitting a tire - and even then having your ride ruined by the bumpy experience!
(03-31-2010, 07:41 AM)Black_Blade Wrote:  I am looking at replacing my Kenda low pressure tires with some higher pressure models. The back is 24" and the front is 20", for my Evox 140...so its a fairly LWB type.

I downloaded Kenda's 2010 Catalog, but it seems they don't offer any touring type tires in my sizes, let alone high pressure models. Is there any other makes that is not terribly pricey to consider?

I ride on Serfas Drifters 2.0 inch. No flats or loss of air in 2 1/2 years with standard duty innertubes. These are best urban tires I have had so far.
BLBaszis
Kenda's catalogue does not show all of the their tires......

Take a look at these 100 psi Kenda tires in the sizes you want:
http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Commuter-Recumbent-Bicycle-Pressure/dp/B000C15E1W/
http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Kwest-Tire-Wire-1-50-Inch/dp/B00B01KHA6/

The Kwest tires have kevlar belts under the tread. They have hard long wearing tread, with softer side walls for long life and very good rolling characteristics.
Nigel
Wow this is an old thread to still be active. I like it! Anyway, Clement gravel tires. Particularly the USH.