Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Rear brake cable/housing help
hey i recently bought a new universal brake cable came with housing, but the thing is that the cable/housings goes through the tube of the frame at one end and out the end.

any suggestion/idea on how to replace my new cable?

thanks
Some frames have a tube inside to guide the cable through. But just in case it does not, cut off the head of the old cable, tape the end of the new one to it, and pull it through to pull the new cable into place.
(04-03-2010, 10:48 PM)viet_Cong Wrote:  hey i recently bought a new universal brake cable came with housing, but the thing is that the cable/housings goes through the tube of the frame at one end and out the end.

thanks
Is it a Huffy?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-04-2010, 08:05 AM)Bill Wrote:  
(04-03-2010, 10:48 PM)viet_Cong Wrote:  hey i recently bought a new universal brake cable came with housing, but the thing is that the cable/housings goes through the tube of the frame at one end and out the end.

thanks
Is it a Huffy?

nope, its a friend of mine the bike is called "laser triumph" Made in Canada, Falcon shifter/derilleur, 18 speed.
To replace just the inner then just slide out the old and thread the new through.
The housing will go all the way through the frame.
To replace the housing.
Un-clip the inner cable from the brake but leave it attached to the lever on the bars.
Now pull the outer housing out along the inner but leave the inner inside the frame.
Feed the new housing over the inner and through the frame.
Make sure the inner is secure and not being pushed out. The inner will act as the guide through the frame.
The outer housing should then appear where the inner is entering the frame.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(04-04-2010, 02:54 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  To replace just the inner then just slide out the old and thread the new through.
To replace the housing.
Un-clip the inner cable from the brake but leave it attached to the lever on the bars.
Now pull the outer housing out along the inner but leave the inner inside the frame.
Make sure the inner is secure and not being pushed out. The inner will act as the guide through the frame.

oh thanks! but i'm trying to replace the cables and the housing at the same time

should i take out the housing first then replace it with my new one(old cable still in placed) then take out the old cable and put in new cable? if u know what i'm saying...
(04-05-2010, 09:54 AM)viet_Cong Wrote:  
(04-04-2010, 02:54 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  To replace just the inner then just slide out the old and thread the new through.
To replace the housing.

oh thanks! but i'm trying to replace the cables and the housing at the same time
should i take out the housing first then replace it with my new one(old cable still in placed) then take out the old cable and put in new cable? if u know what i'm saying...

You can do it either way round.
Personally I would fit the new inner first.
Be careful to keep the end of the inner from fraying before you put it through.
The new inner may be a bit longer than the old one and will help when fitting the new outer.
If you are happy with the length of the old housing then you can cut the new housing to the same length before inserting.

I am assuming there are no ferrules where the housing enters and exits the frame?
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(04-05-2010, 03:50 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  
(04-05-2010, 09:54 AM)viet_Cong Wrote:  
To replace the housing.

You can do it either way round.
Personally I would fit the new inner first.
Be careful to keep the end of the inner from fraying before you put it through.
The new inner may be a bit longer than the old one and will help when fitting the new outer.
If you are happy with the length of the old housing then you can cut the new housing to the same length before inserting.

I am assuming there are no ferrules where the housing enters and exits the frame?

nope, no ferrules only the "j" noodle and the rubber root.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-06-2020, 03:20 AM
Last Post: jonsio

01-13-2020, 03:17 PM
Last Post: dwc7

07-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Last Post: knl