Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What tool do I need to take off this freewheel?
Ok guys, I need help figuring out WHAT tool I need to take this freewheel off, and WHERE I can get one (preferably online somewhere cheap)...
Or heck if I can do it without getting a special tool... even better!

Ya, I went to the bike shop and he refused to help me with this, said it was too old of a freewheel and that he'd never seen one that big...

[Image: 2m5ccwl.jpg]
It's from an old Schwinn utility I believe.., the diameter of that hole is at least more than 1 inch.
Thanks.
Your LBS doesn't sound very professional. Have you tried their competitor yet?

My first thought is that it might be an Atom freewheel and I have one just like yours from an old Viscount bicycle in the 1970's. Then I doubled checked an FR-4 tool and found it (FR-4) is too small. Are you having a problem with the freewheel, bearings, etc? If you have problems then maybe the best thing would be to replace the wheel set. You can get a new updated 36-spoke rear wheel from Avenir for just $26 on Amazon. A freewheel remover will cost you almost half that anyway. You will also need to buy a new freewheel for it and Sunrace sells a 5-speed for around $10 (on Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Steel-5-7spd-Freewheel-Silver/dp/B002KVOM2Y/

Good luck with that, and let us know what you do, okay?

Thanks,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Is it a Malliard? http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1079.html Just a question for my own thoughts.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-05-2010, 07:21 AM)Bill Wrote:  Is it a Malliard? http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1079.html Just a question for my own thoughts.

Bill, I think you nailed it. (URI from your own previous post)
http://www.bicycletool.com/normandymaillardfreewheeltool.aspx

But with the remover selling for $20, I think I would upgrade the wheelset because sooner or later you won't be able to find replacement parts. (I gotta shut-down, lightening raining down here)

Thanks,
Steve
You know Steve I just counted the cogs on it and there is only 4? Interesting because I never saw that kind of setup before! xoomxoom if you do just replace those please do message me as I may be interested in it.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Buy a new wheel and freewheel and save yourself the headache later on if you run into problems. Keeping stuff around that is hard to fix is a pain.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
(04-07-2010, 10:27 PM)Bill Wrote:  You know Steve I just counted the cogs on it and there is only 4? . . .

The 5th cog is hidden behind the "Schwinn Approved" piece. My Viscount is the same way. There are 5 cogs.

Don't ya love it when someone starts a thread and then seems to ignore it. Ha-ha Smile

Later,
Steve
Lol on the iggy part , they may have limited time on the internet?!?! That is rather cool. Hidden under that, would kind act as a small jumpoff guard for the chain. Still interested in finding one though just to work on it. Big Grin
Well, I got mine! And it works great. Big Grin
Very nice thanks for sharing the pics! Hate to asked but when you get a chance can you do a side shot showing the hidden cog?
No problem Bill. I bought the front and rear wheelset for $15 from a guy parting out an old Viscount bike. I initially intended to use it on a Schwinn rebuild I am still working on, but found complete new wheelsets for $48 total at Amazon, so now they sit unused. Sheldon Brown says "it (Viscount) should be a display bike" probably because of the "Death" fork that tended to break.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html

Enjoy,
Steve

Here's some more eye-candy for ya! Love those hot pants and hair styles from the seventies. Brings back fond memories!
Well, those nylons shes wearing will prevent chaffing.Big Grin
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Quote:Here's some more eye-candy for ya! Love those hot pants and hair styles from the seventies. Brings back fond memories!

Nice ad. I never thought of sizing women in high heels to increase their standover. This could put Georgina Terry out of business. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-14-2022, 07:32 AM
Last Post: ichitan

08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Last Post: !TREK4ME!