Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Click while climbing
Most of the time, my bike sounds perfectly normal. When I start to really crank on the pedals (climbing or just accelerating hard) I get a clicking sound that times with the pedals. I think it is always on the downstroke of the right pedal, but am not 100% sure. Any ideas/recommendations would be helpful.
Thanks.

Likely loose crank arm or pedal.

Just so you know you are not alone, I have the same problem, only it's on the flat. No noise when climbing, no noise when I'm keeping the pedals moving over with no pressure, just on the flat when I am keeping myself up to speed. It's driving me nuts! If any one can provide a solution I'd be grateful. I have a brand new bike by the way, so wear shouldn't come into it. The pedals aren't loose, neither are the nuts securing the crank arms to the spline.
If it is new: go to the bike shop and let them fix it.
If it is not new: look at every bolt on the bike and torque it to spec. Grease things like the seat post and use (dang... whatcha call it... assembly compound stuff?) where appropriate. I currently have a similar problem, a click when pedaling hard(-ish), twice per revolution at the last third of the down stroke. Noise seems to cease when riding hands free. Yesterday night I retorqued, greased, lubed (almost) everything, still have to take it out for a spin to check. I still have to get a 8mm inside hex wrench with a long handle for the pedals and the Hollowtech II tools....
Side note: anecdotes tell that it might even be a shoelace slapping against the frame...
Thanks for the response Joe, lube is next on my list. Talking to a workmate tomorrow who used to run a cycle business. I am reliably informed he is a guru on these problems. If he comes up with a solution, I will post the result.
Guys, I feel... stupid. OK, I took out my steed for a spin yesterday. The clicking / clonking still persisted. Then I took a closer look at the bike: the Michelin latex tubes have no threaded valves, so no valve nut to secure them to the rim. 4cm of electrical tape later: no noise anymore. Problem solved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Last Post: nfmisso