Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Replacing Handlebars/Brake Levers
I currently have drop style handle bars and would like to remove them, flip them over, and trim the ends to create bullhorns. First of all I am unsure how to remove my current brake levers, and when I do so if I will need to replace them with another style of lever for the bullhorns. Second, I was wondering if anyone knew of the best type of saw for shortening the metal of my bars.
When you squeeze the levers you should be able to see a screw head inside that sites under the cable. This releases the levers from the bar. You will have to loosen the brake cable if not remove them entirely to get to this screw usually.

A pipe cutter is the best thing for cutting the bars, but you can do a good job with a hack saw if you're careful.

You can normally use the same levers depending on how you want it set up.

Here's some quick instructions: http://www.ridefixedgear.com/howto/convert-drop-handlebars-bullhorns
Well I will be a rock that rolled off of a cliff!!! I never saw that before thanks both of you, I may do this sometime in the future!!!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks so much DaveM, that was a huge help! It looks so easy to do now, except that when I went to remove my brake levers the right lever came off like butter, but the left is stuck on! The screw will not budge, probably because it's an old bike and hasn't had any work done for a long time (it was given to me recently from a friend who didn't ride it for a few years). This is more of a hardware problem than anything, but I was hoping someone would have an idea for getting the stubborn thing off. I've tried lubing it up a bit, letting that sit and going at it again, but no luck. I'm afraid to keep trying the skrewdriver because it's starting to strip it...help!
I got the screw out, so never mind to the last request. Just used a rubber band on the screw driver. Now I've got some sweet bullhorns! Thanks again for the help.
Post a picture if you can so we all can see your custom job Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Nice info for sure but I like my drop bars to well to change.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...